Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical Marijuana

Super Moderator
    I'm constantly fighting for weight gain and I live in Colorado. Since my 2014 post on the use of Medical Marijuana (MM) my neighbor found herself fighting for the next ounce of body mass. Strangely enough I have been in the same fight for over a year now.

My neighbor, Tina, has chronic migraine headaches and chronically took the maximum amount of OTC migraine meds, caffeine pills and then curl up and wait for the headache pain to end. A predictable ulcer formed and penetrated the wall of her stomach, draining the stomach contents into her gut. A wedge resection fixed the hole in her stomach and removed the portion of the stomach responsible for the hunger response.

My CF is GI dominant and I live in pretty much constant pain and have enough nausea to where eating isn't something that I look forward to. It's been like this since I can remember but now it's coming down to failure to thrive. From a year ago I have gone from 155 pounds to 125 pounds. I'm getting shorter but not as drastically as my skinny neighbor. I might have hit 6'0" the summer I was 19. My latest height was 5' 9 1/2" so I qualify for skinny. Tina went from a slender 160 pounds and 5'9" to 105 pounds in 6 months and struggles.

So far this sounds pretty grim. Two anorexic people in a pot legal state and I promise you that we're trying. We even check out different strains and see how our munchies work. To be honest, we are two very difficult cases. I'm convinced that we would be worse off without the advantage of MM. I do feel so much better when I vape after eating.

Colorado appears to be a welcome home to MM research. Considering that effectively, marijuana research is being actively discouraged by denying funding to academia and research facilities by our elected Federal officials, any research is potentially friendly. Some of the best research is being done by the MM industry itself, self funded.

Colorado's pot industry isn't a bunch of burned out hippies carving out pipes in a basement. It's not even close to being the enormous amount of liquor stores and the dollar volume, but we have got to understand that it isn't a genie we can put back, it's a force of nature with the potential for good and bad. Some very brilliant people are working out the multitudes of diseases potentially treatable with the drugs in the Cannabis plant. Sadly the bulk of the established research isn't being done in Colorado but Israel. No offense to Israel, much of what has legitimized MM as an effective medicine is from research done there. Colorado's pot industry is in part edible drugs, transdermal patches, and THC A, THC B, CBD, CBN and more cannabinoids in combination and in pure forms have been studied.

In my experience, MM is a great drug for appetite stimulation. I also take Marinol, the prescription version of THC. If you want to move to Colorado, welcome. If the only reason for this move is an appetite stimulant, try Marinol first.

Hope this helps,

LL
    67yr. old man, DX CF 2002 by sweat test. Heterozygous S1235R revealed by genetic testing in 2003 & 2012 accepted secondary mutation. 7T, 7T polymorphism established to be virulent. Classification review in 2017 remains CF diagnosis.

Complete pancreatic atrophy, Bronchiectasis, MRSA, osteoporosis, small duct disease, charming personality.

I take Marinol which is the prescription version of Medical Marijuana. It has saved my life on many occasions. While I love eating, there are times when I just don't appetite and there isn't anything you could do to get me to eat food. Sometimes this feeling can go on for days, especially when I'm sick and in the hospital. Before I was on Marinol, they tired giving me NG tube feeds with the highest strength formula and I would still lose weight. The only thing that worked for me was taking Marinol. My weight has increased and I'm now the heaviest I've been my entire life of 126lbs. I feel better and look so much better. I don't take it everyday. I only take it as needed when I start to lose my appetite or while I'm in the hospital. It makes you eat...OMG does it make you eat...lol. I do get the sensation of a high when I start out and then it fizzles out as time goes on. The high doesn't always happen though, because it all depends on how I absorb it. It's also great because it keeps me calm while I'm in the hospital too. I also agree with LittleLab4CF that you should try this route first. That way you can start on a small dose (2.5MG is the smallest dose) and get use to the feeling of how it makes you feel and act before starting on something so strong.

Super Moderator
    Kenna,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Marinol. Not long after Marinol (dronabinal) came out I discovered that doctors weren't exactly on board with writing prescriptions. My doctor at the time, wasn't writing prescriptions for anyone, as we're probably all of them short of doctors who were desperate for AIDs patients and people like CFers. I dropped efforts to get a script.

Now that MM is legal, doctors and law enforcement are mostly tickled. Mostly. A new Pain Management doctor refused to allow me to use MM because of the Federal laws. To my surprise he had no objections to Marinol so I got a prescription for it. The PM doctor and I didn't mesh and I have moved on. My new doctor doesn't have difficulty with the use of MM which gives me the option of Marinol for appetite stimulation and MM for nausea.

Your bringing up Marinol from first hand experience was wonderful. It is a great alternative to either getting it illegally acquired Cannabis, under age when you need it and people who just aren't into the world of MM. My experience has been positive with the use of Marinol, at least as good as quality MM.

LL
    67yr. old man, DX CF 2002 by sweat test. Heterozygous S1235R revealed by genetic testing in 2003 & 2012 accepted secondary mutation. 7T, 7T polymorphism established to be virulent. Classification review in 2017 remains CF diagnosis.

Complete pancreatic atrophy, Bronchiectasis, MRSA, osteoporosis, small duct disease, charming personality.