Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: How can I lose fat safely?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146

    How can I lose fat safely?

    So I want abs really bad. I sort of do, but there is a layer of fat covering them. What can I do? How can I calculate how many calories I burn? From what I understand, cf makes you burn a lot more calories. If I ate healthy and I was strict with my diet, and I ate a calorie deficit, will that make me lose fat and will that be safe? Of course I will exercise as well.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    41
    If you want ABS, work out your ABS. It doesn't happen in a week it takes months. You can supplement with coconut oil to help burn fat from just your ABS. You do not need to take enzymes with coconut oil because it is absorbed by your liver. Do not take more than 3 tablespoons in a day.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    3,879
    I agree with knowitall....the only way to get definition is to do exercises like crunches or planks. Here's a site that describes 6 good exercises that target the abs..http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/08...58&title=Plank
    Good luck!

    Jenn 41 wCF.

  4. #4
    I would suggest seeing a dietitian before making any significant changes to your diet. If all you are targeting is your abs, then exercising them more will help burn the fat around that area. If you are looking to just get to a healthier weight, websites or apps like http://www.sparkpeople.com/ or http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ are what my dietitian recommended for me (I have used both, and both are wonderful). Again, I cannot stress the importance of talking to your doctor or a dietitian before changing your calorie intake. Lowering your calorie intake will make you loose weight, but you still need to be eating the right kinds of foods to keep your immune system strong.

    Gaining muscle or loosing weight doesn't happen over night, like knowitall stated. Don't go into it with the expectation of being ripped in one month. Don't get discouraged, either, if it's not coming off as fast as you had hoped. Keep chugging away and it will happen, just give it time!

    Best of luck!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    364
    Abs are mainly made in the kitchen. You can hit your abs all day long with crunches and other creative nonsense but most likely all you'll be doing is hurting your back and creating hipinbalance and other stuff you don't want. Because contrary to tellsell television..they have quite limited potential to grow and there's just no such thing as localised fatburn to a point where that is noticeable.

    You do want a balanced strong core and from earlier posts I believe you are getting into weightlifting so most likely you are squatting and deadlifting. Then you're pretty much set. Because those hit your abs incredibly hard.

    So indeed for visible abs you need a low fat%. For men usually around 10% or less. There's a big genetic component there. Some people will easily have big ripped abs at 12% while others will barely have anything at 6%.

    But remember that a low fat% is counterproductive to high resistance and bodyreserve that we need with CF.
    So if you want to cut at all atleast take it slow, 1-200KCal under maintenance at most. But most likely you lose some fluidretention that way and feel better about your body very quickly anyway.
    And keep watching for any telltale signs and up your intake right away when there's tummyaches, fever, feel crappy or stop recovering well, if you go on antibiotics and so on.

    And maybe get one of those calipers so you can atleast get a ballpark estimate of your fat% and atleast keep it at 10% or above. But that might be lower than you think, especially when you've put on some musclemass.
    34 CF The Netherlands

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by knowitall View Post
    If you want ABS, work out your ABS. It doesn't happen in a week it takes months. You can supplement with coconut oil to help burn fat from just your ABS. You do not need to take enzymes with coconut oil because it is absorbed by your liver. Do not take more than 3 tablespoons in a day.
    really coconut oil is a good fat burner?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistofchaos View Post
    Abs are mainly made in the kitchen. You can hit your abs all day long with crunches and other creative nonsense but most likely all you'll be doing is hurting your back and creating hipinbalance and other stuff you don't want. Because contrary to tellsell television..they have quite limited potential to grow and there's just no such thing as localised fatburn to a point where that is noticeable.

    You do want a balanced strong core and from earlier posts I believe you are getting into weightlifting so most likely you are squatting and deadlifting. Then you're pretty much set. Because those hit your abs incredibly hard.

    So indeed for visible abs you need a low fat%. For men usually around 10% or less. There's a big genetic component there. Some people will easily have big ripped abs at 12% while others will barely have anything at 6%.

    But remember that a low fat% is counterproductive to high resistance and bodyreserve that we need with CF.
    So if you want to cut at all atleast take it slow, 1-200KCal under maintenance at most. But most likely you lose some fluidretention that way and feel better about your body very quickly anyway.
    And keep watching for any telltale signs and up your intake right away when there's tummyaches, fever, feel crappy or stop recovering well, if you go on antibiotics and so on.

    And maybe get one of those calipers so you can atleast get a ballpark estimate of your fat% and atleast keep it at 10% or above. But that might be lower than you think, especially when you've put on some musclemass.
    yep I know this. I was about to say something like this to the other people who think you can target fat when you cannot target it. And I was gonna mention the thing about working the abs to gt them cause I know that it's about what you eat. I just wanted to make sure that I could do a calorie deficit. I talked to my dr and he said to just eat healthy and exercise. But never went into specifics

    So I shouldn't go below 10% bf? Jw, but why can't I go lower? To like, 8% bf? Also, do you know any way I can determine how many calories I should eat? Or do you think you can help tell me how many I burn?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    364
    Simply go from how much you are eating now and very slowly adjust it and carefully watch what happens to your body and how you feel. Takes a while to learn how much your body uses on an average day, when you workout, when you get sick, so on.

    Yes we can do a small Calorie deficit but only when we're "healthy". The moment something comes up, when we might of been exposed to snotty folks or we get sick, it's all you can eat! Remember that.

    So where are you at now with your weight?
    10% a good middleground between being "ripped" and having some reserves. Any lower as a natural and you'll start to notice your body will tap into your musclereserves at the drop of a hat and most likely you'll notice your legs getting skinnier and lose strength. Not very useful when we have to work so hard to put any on.
    But it's lower than you might think and more "ripped" than anyone you'll meet out on an average day. <10% is hardcore athlete territory and even they don't want to stay low like that all year if they depend on strength. For me it also prevents the completely caved in underfed-CF-sick-look-face etc.
    34 CF The Netherlands

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    22
    If you do decide to start targeting your abs with crunches, etc, please be sure to do some back exercises as well. Like Twistofchaos said above, you want a strong, balanced core. If any muscle groups are drastically stronger than others, you risk injury that can follow you around for life. Take it from someone who just got out of the Marine Corps and has the back problems to show for it. Military physical training is very unbalanced, unfortunately.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Twistofchaos View Post
    Simply go from how much you are eating now and very slowly adjust it and carefully watch what happens to your body and how you feel. Takes a while to learn how much your body uses on an average day, when you workout, when you get sick, so on.

    Yes we can do a small Calorie deficit but only when we're "healthy". The moment something comes up, when we might of been exposed to snotty folks or we get sick, it's all you can eat! Remember that.

    So where are you at now with your weight?
    10% a good middleground between being "ripped" and having some reserves. Any lower as a natural and you'll start to notice your body will tap into your musclereserves at the drop of a hat and most likely you'll notice your legs getting skinnier and lose strength. Not very useful when we have to work so hard to put any on.
    But it's lower than you might think and more "ripped" than anyone you'll meet out on an average day. <10% is hardcore athlete territory and even they don't want to stay low like that all year if they depend on strength. For me it also prevents the completely caved in underfed-CF-sick-look-face etc.
    im 155 lb.
    5 foot 8-9 iinches
    and in almost 18 yr old
    and I believe I'm around 15-18% bf

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,213
    Just want to throw out there that women can have a higher body fat % and ripped abs...if they carry weight in their butt.

    Also, when I was little, my dad used to say people generally fell into one of three categories: endomorphs, ectomorphs and mesomorphs. (Google any of those words and see the amusing drawings under "images".) And he said that you can only modify what you are to a certain extent and still be healthy. (CF would be an example of a disease that, through lack of absorbtion of fat and nutrients, can thin a body's shape too far/past what would otherwise be its set-point.)

    I don't hear people talk about those categories anymore. Maybe because the obesity health crisis has changed the bodyscape of America altogether? Anyway, at the gym I've been going to for years, seeing the same people for years, it seems to hold true that people have certain genetic physical types--roughly--a mesomorph is muscle-y, an ectomorph is thin, and an endomorph carries more body fat. No body/nobody there changes A LOT. Some change relative to past selves, yes. But no dramatic transformations.

    Anyhoo, I'm sure with regular core and aerobic exercise, you will see an improvement in the look of your abdomen. Just don't let yourself give up or be disheartened if you don't immediately (or ever) look like a probably-photoshopped picture on the internet.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •