Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Warding off asthma attacks with a drink?

I sometimes get those dry hacking coughs and it is hard to catch a breath sometimes. I, too, find that cold, fizzy, club soda helps. Also I take Tylenol #3 as it helps relax my chest and helps suppress the coughing. However, I've been on Tylenol #3 so many years now that it takes more as my body has become habituated to it. I am an older cf patient at 64 yrs. As time has gone on (many years), the coughing has made pain a daily difficult issue and the Tylenol #3 is the only thing that helps. Like someone else on this thread, hydrocodone gave me nausea. And anti-inflammatory drugs made me have hemoptysis. So, club soda and Tylenol #3 are my go to things in those situations. Coffee also helps as an anti-inflammatory as it has theophylline in it and there is a supplement called pycnogenol the helps with inflammation. A small study was done with asthma patients and it was found helpful. Perhaps they will test cf patients eventually as it does seem to help.

welshwitch
    Sorry to hear about your asthma attacks! Weirdly, drinking alcohol sometimes MAKES me have an asthma attack. (Could it be the effects of the depressant wearing off?) Sorry to hear about your coughing. For me, getting plenty of rest, relaxing, and thinking about eliminating what is causing my increased coughing usually works. Getting to the source.

welshwitch
    Oh, and black tea helps a lot.

have you tried hopping in a hot shower for a while? Sometimes shocking my system with COLD but humidified air helps a lot. I havent had trouble with nausea from hydrocodone, but I take a pill. And I've also found Tussin CF helps a lot, or even popping a quick prednisone (although the effects of that can take a while). I cant do alcohol at ALL since I get gout from even a tiny amount. Good luck windex, you have others out there who truly do understand how hard this can be. I hope someones has mentioned something that helps you!!! Oh, did you take the hydrocodone on an empty stomach? Maybe some food too?

windex125
    What kind of a pill do you take? I'll go buy the Tussin CF today give it a try and I made sure I ate a muffin before taking the Hydro but that did not help. I hate the fact that the Hydro works so great, but I hesitate using itas I know how I'll feel when it starts to wear off, but by then the hacking has stopped so maybe I shd just deal with the nausea? I am so drained from this every day. Also my back is killing me so I've been putting on the Lioderm Patches for that, and that helps. This is going on 3 mts. already the dry hacking I woke at 9am today it is now 12:05 and I am still hacking. I must also admit this does lead me at times to desperate thoughts. I only have one functioning lung the right is completely collapsed and does not even show upon the xray anymore, really weird lookg. I also sleep with o2 at night. If I was clearing with a lot of junk coming out I wld think well that's great but NOTHING usually till evening, that's when things flow. I hate to write and complain, I know we have so many others who suffer way more, but I am feeling so down and trapped in the house, I needed some suggestions I thank you all so much. Pat/59

I have had asthma all of my life. Water doctor said and swallowing would help to relax the cords making breathing easier.