Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Length of hospital stays

Length of hospital stays

Ok, so I can't say I'm very experienced in this area, since I have not been hospitalized many times. The first time I was in, and probably the most sick, was 4 or 5 days. The second time was 9 days. This time, I'm on my 10th day and it very well could last until next week.<br><br>It used to be that they wanted to kick you out at the very first opportunity to reduce the risk of cross contamination and whatnot. What's changed? I'm going to strongly suggest to my doc today that I be released to home IVs tomorrow as the hospital pharmacy has been late with meds and the floor seems understaffed with nurses. I can do a better job myself at home.<br>

Length of hospital stays

Ok, so I can't say I'm very experienced in this area, since I have not been hospitalized many times. The first time I was in, and probably the most sick, was 4 or 5 days. The second time was 9 days. This time, I'm on my 10th day and it very well could last until next week.<br><br>It used to be that they wanted to kick you out at the very first opportunity to reduce the risk of cross contamination and whatnot. What's changed? I'm going to strongly suggest to my doc today that I be released to home IVs tomorrow as the hospital pharmacy has been late with meds and the floor seems understaffed with nurses. I can do a better job myself at home.<br>

Length of hospital stays

In my opinion, doctor's change thier thinking every few years regarding hospital stays. At least my doctors do. I used to stay in the hospital a few days then go home in IV's for a few weeks. Now they prefer I stay in the hospital about two weeks for the IV's. Even though they know I can take care of my medical needs at home, they know or assume I will not be resting enough and I will continue with my usual daily activities. I do admit that by staying longer I am more rested and regain some energy.
    That's my two cents.
    Mark, age 43.

Length of hospital stays

In my opinion, doctor's change thier thinking every few years regarding hospital stays. At least my doctors do. I used to stay in the hospital a few days then go home in IV's for a few weeks. Now they prefer I stay in the hospital about two weeks for the IV's. Even though they know I can take care of my medical needs at home, they know or assume I will not be resting enough and I will continue with my usual daily activities. I do admit that by staying longer I am more rested and regain some energy.
    That's my two cents.
    Mark, age 43.

Length of hospital stays

See, I'm the opposite. I sleep for crap in the hospital. The only advantage is in hospital people clean for you and do laundry and things that you would normally have to do at home.

Length of hospital stays

See, I'm the opposite. I sleep for crap in the hospital. The only advantage is in hospital people clean for you and do laundry and things that you would normally have to do at home.

Length of hospital stays

I am usually in two weeks or more at the least, that is how long it takes to get my meds right and me feeling well enough to carry on at home. I guess it depends on the doctor, how you are responding to the IV's, etc....I hope you get out soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Jenn 40 w/CF

Length of hospital stays

I am usually in two weeks or more at the least, that is how long it takes to get my meds right and me feeling well enough to carry on at home. I guess it depends on the doctor, how you are responding to the IV's, etc....I hope you get out soon. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Jenn 40 w/CF

Length of hospital stays

We've seen a change depending on what you're in for. If it's IV meds, usual for my son is 7 days or 14 days. They like to keep him in-house as they can have respiratory techs do the treatments 4 times a day while at home it's hard to get all that done. Sleep is crappy, meds are often late and it's a crap-shoot of whether it's better to be in hospital or at home. My son may be facing an admittance here depending on his lung functions and I may request to do in house 1 week and 2nd week at home.

Doctors in GI seem to want to kick us out immediately before they've stabilized anything or made any real changes. I had a serious battle with administration, doctors, interns, nurses, etc last time around to keep my kid in the hospital so we'd actually get someone to pay attention to his issue. It's all exhausting and seems to be you stay in as long as whichever doctor is working the floor on admittance day decides.

Length of hospital stays

We've seen a change depending on what you're in for. If it's IV meds, usual for my son is 7 days or 14 days. They like to keep him in-house as they can have respiratory techs do the treatments 4 times a day while at home it's hard to get all that done. Sleep is crappy, meds are often late and it's a crap-shoot of whether it's better to be in hospital or at home. My son may be facing an admittance here depending on his lung functions and I may request to do in house 1 week and 2nd week at home.

Doctors in GI seem to want to kick us out immediately before they've stabilized anything or made any real changes. I had a serious battle with administration, doctors, interns, nurses, etc last time around to keep my kid in the hospital so we'd actually get someone to pay attention to his issue. It's all exhausting and seems to be you stay in as long as whichever doctor is working the floor on admittance day decides.