Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Weight Gain

Are you CFRD?

The easiest way to gain weight is adding healthy fats to your diet. Put olive oil, coconut oil, and even butter on everything. Those are little "hidden calories". Eat peanut butter, cashew butter, and almond butter. Depending on how many calories you need, consider buying a "weight gainer" at GNC. These shakes are super tasty and can pack up to 1000 calories. Drink whole milk, cheese, full fat yogurt, etc. Eating all the junk food isn't good for us. Stick to whole, healthy, foods. Oatmeal packed with fruit, almonds, whole milk, butter, peanut butter, honey, etc.

leona.mccauley
    Ice cream has helped many people in maintaining weight.

My son doesn't have too much of a limit on what food he can eat in terms of weight gain. He can eat all day long. He's small stature, and is always on low end of scale. His weight seems to be steady growth though. No "loss". He drinks Scandi Shakes like their going out of style. I had to laugh at the "YUCK" comments on here, cause when he was introduced to them, he hated them. The CF Pharm delivers a different flavor each month. He also puts in Benecalorie "shots" in them as well. Doctor wants him to be limited to 2-3 times a day, not because of calorie overload or anything, but it can screw up appetite. So far, other than a picky eater, we have no problem there.
    We were also given "Duocal" powder samples, but were not sure how its working.

Running4Life, I've thought about looking at places like GNC and the products there. Any particular products you recommend? That I could bring up with his Nutritionist?

Hi all. I am trying to gain weight now and I am doing it through eating healthy, whole foods and proper food combining. It is a hard balance to get enough calories while avoiding the toxic "foods" that CF docs usually recommend, like Scandishakes and carnation shakes. The ingredient lists on those are atrocious: hydrogenated oils, TONS of sugar, denatured dairy... it couldn't get more unhealthy. These things feed infection and cause serious digestive diseases.

What I've found is that eating high-quality whole foods in proper combinations lets me get in a ton of calories, plus it improves my digestion so that I can eat more frequently throughout the day, every couple of hours. I eat a lot of macademia nuts (in smoothies and shakes) and sunflowerseed butter, coconut oil, bacon fat, meat and fish, low-sugar fruits, TONS of vegetables. About 60-80% of my daily caloric intake is healthy fats (coconut oil, animal fats, ghee, olive oil, nuts), combined properly with other foods. I eat pretty much "Paleo", so no grains, sugars, dairy, or starchy vegetables. There are supplements that I take to help me digest so much fat, especially egg yolk lecithin, bitters, beet kvass, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in the water I drink, etc.

I outline this information on my website, www.cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com. The reason why I wrote the website is to provide answers to these CF dilemmas in a healthy and holistic way.

The best thing about eating this way is it tastes great once you figure it out, and you know you are feeding your body what it needs and cutting out the bad stuff. I have a few recipes on my website/blog. Especially check out my chocolate macademia nut super shake. It has more calories than a scandishake, tastes better (plus you can change the flavor any time by adding different ingredients), and is actually good for you!

I hope this info is helpful. Be well!

-Mikayla
    26 w/ CF, CFRD. Avid medical/ holistic health researcher. www.cfnaturalhealth.weebly.com

Snacks and junk food wont cut it, wake up and grow up about your health, today.

Quote Originally Posted by ambermarie03 View Post
    Those are all great ideas! Thanks guys! I usually eat non-stop throughout the day, unless I'm at work which is a full time 12 hr/day job. I always have snacks at my desk though. I've just noticed lately I've lost a couple of lbs and it seems so easy to lose but so hard to gain back!!
    Seriously, reading this and thinking, I use to eat this crap. This is the opposite approach of health, period. I do not know where to start but I will. You are what you eat, sounds trite and too simple but it is true. You have CF you need to do more than the average bear. You need to look at your diet as a double edged sword. It can help you or kill you. Traditional CF thinking was/is eat all the crap you can manage it will be ok. Really bad but well meaning idea. Lets look at Scandi Shakes for starters. Lots of calories and such and insurance will pay for it etc but read the ingredients. Sugar - bad, trans fats - bad, { Maltodextrin, vegetable oils (soya bean oil, palm oil), sucrose, cocoa powder, skimmed milk, - There is no nutritional value in this. This will cause inflammation and congestion. Even chocolate has been implicated in negatively affecting CFTR. Please look at this post, Read it and come back >http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thre...ainer-Smoothie , this is a great alternative and is gluten free, dairy free and crap free. Now obviously CF is so complicated and difficult to deal with we need to take care of ourselves holistically and traditionally, we need both
    sides to dovetail together the best traditional medicine and the best nutrition if we are going to have a chance at surviving and beating this
    CF.( None of this information should construed as medical advice and any changes to your medical routine should be done with the
    acknowledgement of your health care provider. ) Supplements and other forms of nutrition have good and bad effects and you have to be careful
    not to overdo too much change at once. Like with anything too much of anything can have negative effects. Slow and steady wins the race.
    It seems that there are several new drugs coming out that could really help us, I am hopeful and anxious, but guarded with my anticipation. So now more than ever I want to stay as well as possible. Bring on the G-tube and nutritional advantage. http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thre...ge-and-recipes. Bottom line you have to go from Thinking what calories to what nutritional value I can eat. PM for more....

Shop your local natural food store for TAHINI! It's just a big word for ground sesame seeds. That's the only ingredient ! Tastes kinda like peanut butter, but 0 sugar and WAY more fat. I make my daughters hummus with it for veggie dip. I make smoothies with it too. Life is about finding a balance . Fresh pineapple in a blender with 1/2 cup coconut oil is like a Hawaiian paradise. It hardens like pudding in the fridge. Super yummy, all natural snack. Avocado tastes amazing in cottage cheese! That's my daughters favorite probably. I even mix 1 tsp flax oil in there. Marinate carrots in olive oil ....and they soak it up. Soak bananas in coco oil... They soak it up. I homebake granola for my daughters cereal ( fresh coconut, almonds , flax seed, steel cut oats and other super foods) Easiest one of ALL, had heavy cream to your scrambled eggs. They are soooo fluffy and delicious . Deep fried white fish . It's doable I promise. These are all super foods NOT crap. My daughter is perfectly healthy, vitamin levels look beautiful even for a non CF'er ( words from our cf doc) , never gets sick, never cultures anything. No loose Greasy stools. This diet has allowed my daughter to come completely off some meds.and my daughter is well above the 70th percentile. And loves the food she's eating . This diet works well on the go as well. I take most of Sunday to prep because all week it's play dates, baseball, school, dance class, Lego Star Wars etc... We are hectic

I have lots more snacks and food ideas . You can private message me if you want. These are just my practices so take wat u want from them

Super Moderator
    Somewhat to my surprise, when I increased my Creon with high calorie meals, more than usual by about 20% I started gaining back weight. Just a thought.

LL

Love the bee products and business, keep up the good work. >http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thre...ainer-Smoothie , this is a great alternative and is gluten free, dairy free and crap free. Now obviously CF is so complicated and difficult to deal with we need to take care of ourselves holistically and traditionally, we need both
    sides to dovetail together the best traditional medicine and the best nutrition if we are going to have a chance at surviving and beating this
    CF.( None of this information should construed as medical advice and any changes to your medical routine should be done with the
    acknowledgement of your health care provider. ) Supplements and other forms of nutrition have good and bad effects and you have to be careful
    not to overdo too much change at once. Like with anything too much of anything can have negative effects. Slow and steady wins the race.
    It seems that there are several new drugs coming out that could really help us, I am hopeful and anxious, but guarded with my anticipation. So now more than ever I want to stay as well as possible. Bring on the G-tube and nutritional advantage. http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/thre...ge-and-recipes. Bottom line you have to go from Thinking what calories to what nutritional value I can eat. PM for more....

Do you use Creon? They have supplements for free. Go to the Creon website and sign up. And you can get your vitamins for free too! We get Ensure, and power bars.

Peachey
    Always try healthy way to increase your weight .It is good to have best most healthy healthy food for that.
    Try to use food with high calories and take 5 meals a day.Include more protein and nutrition especially food with high calories.
    Peanut butter with wheat bread is a good snack for evening more than that banana with ghee also effects well.
    Have food with more meat and cheese.