Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: staphylococcus aureus

staphylococcus aureus

I need someone to break this down so I can understand it. My daughter has cultured staphylococcus aureus. She has a cold right now so they are putting her on antibiotics for the next ten days. If I hadnt called them about her cold they werent even going to tell me about the throat culture. Im confused. Why wouldnt they treat it from the start instead of waiting for her to get sick?

staphylococcus aureus

I need someone to break this down so I can understand it. My daughter has cultured staphylococcus aureus. She has a cold right now so they are putting her on antibiotics for the next ten days. If I hadnt called them about her cold they werent even going to tell me about the throat culture. Im confused. Why wouldnt they treat it from the start instead of waiting for her to get sick?

staphylococcus aureus

Mommafirst

staphylococcus aureus

Staph is incredibly common in human environments. therefore, it is incredibly common for CF kids to culture it. As I understand it, once you culture it, its very difficult to get rid of it, but rather its just about reducing the numbers of staph. If you hit it with antibiotics at every culture, you'll quickly create resistant staph and then it is MRSA. So instead they hit it with antibiotics when symptoms show up. Furthermore, there is some evidence that letting the staph be keep pseudomonas from colonizing. I think there is mixed opinions on whether it matters -- bugs that can weaken the lungs are still bugs that can weaken the lungs, but some are worse than others.

Mommafirst

staphylococcus aureus

Staph is incredibly common in human environments. therefore, it is incredibly common for CF kids to culture it. As I understand it, once you culture it, its very difficult to get rid of it, but rather its just about reducing the numbers of staph. If you hit it with antibiotics at every culture, you'll quickly create resistant staph and then it is MRSA. So instead they hit it with antibiotics when symptoms show up. Furthermore, there is some evidence that letting the staph be keep pseudomonas from colonizing. I think there is mixed opinions on whether it matters -- bugs that can weaken the lungs are still bugs that can weaken the lungs, but some are worse than others.

Mommafirst

staphylococcus aureus

staphylococcus aureus

so pretty much it was inevitable. The only way she could have not gotten it was if i kept her in a plastic bubble? Or could I have done something to prevent it?

staphylococcus aureus

so pretty much it was inevitable. The only way she could have not gotten it was if i kept her in a plastic bubble? Or could I have done something to prevent it?

staphylococcus aureus

staphylococcus aureus

You can't prevent them from getting any of these bugs, eventually they are all inevitable. All you can do is try your best to mitigate the risks, which it sounds like you have done exceptionally well.

When my son first cultured staph I was devastated and wondered what I had done wrong. You start to get over that feeling and just go with the flow as time goes on. I'm sure when pseudomonas creeps up on us I will go through this again.

Your clinic should always tell you what they are culturing so you can have all the info should they get sick and have to be treated. My clinic never calls me either with the results. I have learned to phone the week after and get the results for myself.