Thread: International Patient

International Patient

I am a Pediatrician who goes on medical missions to the Dominican Republic 3 times a year. I have recently begun seeing Yendry, a little 4 year old Dominican child, with cystic fibrosis. His family is unable to afford his medications and I am providing what I can find. Does anyone have ideas for donations of Creon and 7% hypertonic saline? Those are the most expensive, difficult to find at a reasonable cost. I will be going down again in late August and hope to take enough medication to get him through until mid January. Insurance there does not cover his medications and I had no idea how expensive these 2 were until I began trying to provide them for him.
    Thank you for any ideas.

You could check with CF clinics to see if they get samples from drug companies or if they know of anyone who may have switched brands and has a surplus. Unfortunately it is spendy, I just got the receipt for my child's 3 month supply of creon, which was covered by insurance and it was $22,000 plus. Hypertonic saline in our case isn't covered by insurance, so I have to pay out of pocket $33 every month.
    Parent to a child wcf double delta f508.

Started Orkambi July 2015
    Began Symdeko August 2018

Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Yendry's Friend,
    I have some neb equipment...please send your address and info to [email protected]

Good luck finding the right meds!

The cost is astronomical. Thank you for the suggestion. Where do you get the hypertonic saline for $33?
    Thank you

Thru my pharmacy, though I need a prescription. Haven't been able to find otc online.
    Parent to a child wcf double delta f508.

Started Orkambi July 2015
    Began Symdeko August 2018