Thread: Sweat test result: 58

Sweat test result: 58

Hi, I'm 23 years old and I've had nasal polyps for a couple of years and get a chest infection every now and again. I was recently sent for a sweat test as my ENT thought it was strange for me to have nasal polyps at such a young age. The results of the sweat test came back as a 58? The ENT said this is an "intermediate results but it's very likely that I have cystic fibrosis". My GP called today to say that I'm being referred to a CF centre now and that they might do the sweat test again as it wasn't conclusive and that I mightn't have CF. Does anybody know if results can fluctuate so wildly from 58 to below 40? That seems like a crazy jump. I'm very unfamiliar with CF so would appreciate any information. Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Sweat tests can fluctuate based on who conducts the testing. In the states it's recommended a test be done at an accredited CF facility. In my son's case, he was tested as an infant at a CF Facility and had a result of a 37. Apparently it's very difficult to get an accurate read on teeny tiny babies.

Depending upon the results of your sweat test, they'll most likely do genetic blood testing --- test for some of the most common mutations. In our case, it was a test of about 100 and our son has one of the most common.

Could be you're a carrier --- meaning one mutation instead of two. Several of my relatives have struggled with sinus issues and have had numerous surgeries all their lives, yet don't have CF, one isn't even a carrier.

Do you have digestive issues? Have difficulty gaining weight? Have they ever run cultures on you when you've gotten a chest or sinus infect to see if you culture something out of the norm?
    Parent to a child wcf double delta f508

The sweat test that is given outside of a CF Center is only a "scanning sweat test". That is the reason that you were told that your CF Center will redo the test.
    Male 77 CF undetected until age 47. (First symptoms at age 3) Delta F508 & V562I with one copy of Variant 5T. 100% PI. MAC, CFRD.