Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pickles anyone?

lrs2015

pickles anyone?

I do not have cf...but my daughter does. She's one and seems to really like pickles. So I was wondering uf a sodium thing or if a pickle taste thing. Anyone with cf love pickles? Does it make you feel better. Anyone drink the juice? I once read that one shot of pickle juice has as much electrolytes as a bottle of gaterade. But I dunno how true that is.

Super Moderator
    I don't have CF (DS does), but have the CF salt craving and still will eat a spoonful of salt at times (but also have the CF carriers low blood presure) and I LOVE pickles...it seems to satisfy that salty craving.

I don't care for pickles, but pass me the salt shaker at every meal. I've also heard of runners drinking pickle juice post workout but I prefer a bowl of cereal personally.
    Thirtysomething Dad of three (IVFw/ICSI), Mormon, Engineer in Utah.
    I was dx at 1 yr (failure to thrive), D▲F508, FEV1~94%, PA and MSSA, PI.
    2 brothers w/CF, 3 siblings w/out. My wife and parents are saints.

I love pickles!!! I crave anything salty. Now I'm craving a pickle lol... My pain management Dr. Said a spoonful of pickle juice is good for muscle aches. Haven't really noticed a difference with as many pickles as I eat. My powerful salty breath is sometimes too much for my husband!
    AMBER 25yrs CF (Double F508DEL) Married w/ CFRD, Double Lung TX 3-13-07 Kidney TX 7-2-07
    G-Tube &
    Cochlear Implants

She Believed She Could So She Did...

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by beautifulsoul View Post
    I love pickles!!! I crave anything salty. Now I'm craving a pickle lol... My pain management Dr. Said a spoonful of pickle juice is good for muscle aches. Haven't really noticed a difference with as many pickles as I eat. My powerful salty breath is sometimes too much for my husband!
    That's so weird you saying that because I've said to DH so many times that DS's breath smeels salty but thought it was in my head. Does breath really smell salty?

Super Moderator
    ds loves pickles, drinks pickle juice. Sometimes he asks for a bowl of pickle slices for a snack. When he was younger he'd sometimes salt his chocolate chip cookies, calling them salt cookies. Tends to like saltier snacks such as peanuts, sunflower seeds, chips. I keep a salt shaker in the car and he takes hits off it on warmer days when I pick him up from daycare.
    Parent to a child wcf double delta f508

Both of my kids love pickles, one with CF and one without. My daughter with CF carries salt packets in her lunch box for school/camp. Even in my and her purse, especially in the summer.

Super Moderator
    Yup.....pickle juice and olives. My guy won't eat pickles but sucks on them and drinks the juice. He will eat an entire jar of olives if you let him. I keep salt packets (from Sam's Club) in his lunch box and the car. Sometimes he carries them in his pockets.

AboveAll.....where did you discover that carriers tend to have low blood pressure!!!! Fascinating. My husband's is so low I wonder how he stays upright!

Super Moderator
    I love pickles! And olives. My husband doesn't like either one so more for me! I also have super low blood pressure. Didn't know that was a CF thing. Curious!

Super Moderator
    Well, people with high blood pressure are supposed to eat low salt diets. So for them, LESS salt equals lower BP. The opposite of what's happening in CF and in CF carriers. That's as much as I can connect......Little Lab? Anyone can connect the dots?