Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Recently diagnosed at 31

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    161
    QUOTE Is it not normal to constantly be coughing?

    My kids' norm is NOT COUGHING, really! My daughter coughed a year straight, until her diagnosis; but with the proper treatment, she stopped coughing within a couple of months. [It required antibiotics, CPT and regular inhaltion to get there.] They have learned to clear out their lungs daily and they only cough when they have an exacerbation. I suppose once someone is much sicker then they would cough regularly.
    Mother to 3 CFers: boy 24, girl 19, boy 11

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16
    Oh wow! My sputum culture after my picc line last summer came back negative, but I have been coughing non stop since I was infected with pseudomonas in December 2012. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but it's a lot of productive coughing.



    Quote Originally Posted by JustaCFmom View Post
    QUOTE Is it not normal to constantly be coughing?

    My kids' norm is NOT COUGHING, really! My daughter coughed a year straight, until her diagnosis; but with the proper treatment, she stopped coughing within a couple of months. [It required antibiotics, CPT and regular inhaltion to get there.] They have learned to clear out their lungs daily and they only cough when they have an exacerbation. I suppose once someone is much sicker then they would cough regularly.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    161
    I will add that another child, not even a carrier, coughed her way through an entire winter. I think the main issue was post nasal drip. I have also learned that sinusitis can cause coughing. Are you sure that all this is just from your lungs?
    Mother to 3 CFers: boy 24, girl 19, boy 11

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaCFmom View Post
    I will add that another child, not even a carrier, coughed her way through an entire winter. I think the main issue was post nasal drip. I have also learned that sinusitis can cause coughing. Are you sure that all this is just from your lungs?
    Yes, just from my lungs and I can feel it too. Everything else has been clear and I've never had sinus issues either.

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,756
    Trust me when I tell you, there is a major difference between coughing as a result of allergies, post nasal drip or just clearing your throat and bring up mucus from deep in your lungs. When you cough until you think that a lung will pop out, you would never again question the difference.

    Bill
    Male 79 CF undetected until age 47. (First symptoms at age 3) Delta F508 & V562I with one copy of Variant 5Tand 12T. 100% PI. MAC, CFRD.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    16
    It's definitely in my lungs =). It's a deep hard cough. I broke a rib from coughing at the beginning of all of this =)

    Quote Originally Posted by Printer View Post
    Trust me when I tell you, there is a major difference between coughing as a result of allergies, post nasal drip or just clearing your throat and bring up mucus from deep in your lungs. When you cough until you think that a lung will pop out, you would never again question the difference.

    Bill

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    5

    Wow. You ALL are so amazing and such a blessing 😇

    I will say it again "WOW".
    Thank you all for being here, and being willing & able to share your experience. I have a story and will share soon. I have been a silent member for a while, but unfortunately not by choice. And I look forward to sharing my story, getting to know you all, give & get advice and learn from you !!
    Peace & Blessing sending your way,
    Sheila E

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •