Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need ideas for help gaining weight for my lil one.

It will provide extra calories ..Make coconut or MCT a part of daily diet..If you want him to gain weight eaisly ,give him cononut as ,coconut has mct..

Apart from.that it will also help.in mainting weight as cfers lose weight frequently.

I am also under weight..ti gain weight its quiet tough..jst extra pound will not help ur child .

Cfers need high protein diet..get a whey isolate(protein
    )

cfers also loose iron..

u also need to give other supplement.

Remeber give him more protein ..it will help him grow.

Regards
    Ank

Super Moderator
    Thanks to everyone for the great weight gaining information. I've not kept up with weight gaining products and the science of fast, healthy bulking. In some of my recent posts, I am desperately trying to help a neighbor/friend turn her diminishing weight around. Like kenna2, she had stomach surgery and dropped a third of her slender body weight shortly after.

The real battle has begun. Although she is not dealing with anorexia as in the image induced eating disorder, eating is becoming harder. Because she has virtually no body fat, she is in constant pain at a level that is hard to control.

For a year and a half I've been trying most of the ideas suggested under this topic. I have been looking for a product that will encourage some body fat. Scandishake may contain the extra calories to turn the tide.

It seems like most weight gain diets are trying to follow a ketogenic method which is for lean muscular bulking. MCT or Medium Chain Triglycerides oil is central to a ketogenic diet. From what I understand, the difference between taking MCT oil in a lean gaining diet and possibly putting both meat and fat on has to do with carbohydrates added or cut back in the overall balance of carbs, proteins and fats or fats and MCT's.

Weight loss or failure to gain can be beyond frightening. This, sadly, is one way we can die and that has me terrified at the moment. In the case of my friend, all that she has to do is eat more. That is proving to be problematic for her but my experience has been less than impressive in optimizing my digestive process.

Just like my friend who should gain with calories, any healthy GI tract will deliver the calories if baby takes them in. If it took every CFer as long as it took me to balance my food intake with enzymes, the median lifespan of CFers would be getting shorter. Although having a 1 yr old is mostly about eat, poop, sleep and the occasional amazing or odd thing, CF is even more about the eat and especially the poop part of GI medicine.

The development of the GI system is a work in progress for the first year of life so this is where grandma and great grandma might be an excellent source of what is normal and what is not. I don't know where your daughter is with her pancreatic function, but your pediatrician should be checking out and know what her digestive enzymes are up to. Often this is a fecal elastase test and possibly a fecal volume/steatorrhea test to determine how well fats are digested and the fecal volume indicates the quality of digestion and absorption.

This is not something you will learn and never need again. Adult CFers and parents of CF kids become finely tuned to notice problems that might indicate an imbalance in food, water and electrolytes, enzymes and the timing for taking them. So many CFers suffer from poorly adjusted quantities of foods and enzymes that their GI tracts are a significant amount of their total battle with the disease.

Don't be shy about probing questions about the experience of her doctor with GI issues regarding CF and enzymes. Maldigestion means malabsorption too. Although MCT oil is easily digested and absorbed, enzymes must break triglycerides down to fatty acids to be used by the body. In fact all oils, fats and proteins are reduced to fatty acids of varying lengths. Once absorbed, the liver recombines the fatty acids into just four chemicals that fuel our cellular furnaces. Sugars and of course carbohydrates that are made of sugars are directly used by brain and other nerve cells. Even carbs rely on enzymes that convert them to sugar.

Certain sugars have to be further modified. Fructose, found in certain fruits like apples and pit seed fruits like dates and peaches, all favorites of mine, is one of the big offenders. We benefit from moderate quantities of fructose laced foods. Satisfying a sweet tooth with fructose that has been added because it's cheap should remember the tobacco companies. Artificial sweeteners are super sugars that we either cannot digest or we gain very little from consuming it. Unfortunately there's a host of bacteria that digest sorbitol to xylitol.

Talk with your doctor about stool quality and what various issues mean. Low weight gain is a possible symptom of maldigestion and poop volume and killing power of the smell are basic indicators. There's a lifetime of managing her GI health ahead, the sooner you are on top of the poop on poop, the easier it will be.

Good feeding,

LL
    67yr. old man, DX CF 2002 by sweat test. Heterozygous S1235R revealed by genetic testing in 2003 & 2012 accepted secondary mutation. 7T, 7T polymorphism established to be virulent. Classification review in 2017 remains CF diagnosis.

Complete pancreatic atrophy, Bronchiectasis, MRSA, osteoporosis, small duct disease, charming personality.

Great input Ethan , I never thought about that!

Gammaw and LittleLab, you are such excellent sources of information! Thank you from all of us.

LittleLab you bring up an interesting point regarding sugar types and sweeteners. It has been shown that artificial sweeteners change the bacteria balance of the gut dramatically. I think that in all discussions about digestion, we must always include our gut bacteria- our 'microbiome'. In CF, with all the regular antibiotics, we are killing off many (most?) of our good bacteria, many of which are helping us assimilate vital nutrients from our food. We are still learning more about good bacteria, but we know enough that we should be replacing as many of these goodies as we can following a round of antibiotics. We should be looking after the ones we've got the best we can, by having balanced sugar intake (too much will cause yeast overgrowth, pushing out our friendly bacteria), and little to no artificial sweeteners (or artificial anything ideally).

In terms of feeding a 1 year old WCF- I agree that it's important not to pressure too much. Toddlers are notorious for shovelling food in one minute, and refusing an entire meal the next. Any excessive pressure or discomfort could put them off mealtimes altogether. I have found that displaying the food in an interesting way- turning it into a face or pattern, or putting it into little pottles, made it more attractive to my little one. Letting her feed herself, experience the textures etc was helpful in getting her interested. Smoothies and homemade ice blocks (popsicles in the US?) loaded with fat can be great. We use lots of coconut milk, cream and oil. I would always try and boost calories with fats and proteins before sugar. Nut butters are an excellent source of fat (and salt in some cases). Avocado can be put in smoothies if she refuses it on it's own. Chicken fat from the roasting pan can be added to mashed vegetables. Home baking can be a great way for kids with CF to get the get the calories they need, and you can control what goes into it.

Good luck, keep us updated!
    Mother of daughters. One with DDF508, and one w/o CF.

Just bumping up this thread - there is currently a 'recipe contest' on the cysticfibrosis.com/blog page (May 2017). We'll be giving away some gift vouchers for submissions of CF appropriate recipes in a whole range of categories to choose from. PS it doesn't need to be full blown fancy recipes, if you have a simple dish or snack incorporating ingredients suggested in this thread, send a photo and instructions on how to assemble it via the address on the blog. Full details on how to enter is in the blog here http://cysticfibrosis.com/recipe-con...-50-gift-card/

Sorry to hear about your daughter. She is suffering a lot in this small age. For her weight gain, you should try the milk mixed with almond powder. It is a rich source of protein and can help her to gain weight.