Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Texas a good state to live in with CF, are Insurance and CF Hospitals/Centers good

Is Texas a good state to live in with CF, are Insurance and CF Hospitals/Centers good

I have a general question about moving and living in Texas with CF, specifically will private insurance, or a specific Texas State Insurance program cover CF related costs? What should a CF patient and family expect to pay in co-pays, insurance costs, and premiums?
    Also, what does anyone have a specific experience with living with CF in Texas, good or bad? Does Austin have a good CF Hospital/Center?

Thank you kindly - See more at: http://forum.cysticfibrosis.com/entr....uTzg6BC9.dpuf
    43, Male w/CF
    Married with Twins

Super Moderator
    Hi Draz,

So I'm afraid I won't be of much help, but I want to pitch in what I know so far!

We just moved to San Antonio from Nebraska about 3 weeks ago. I have not had a clinic visit yet, but have one scheduled for mid-September at the Austin clinic. I opted for Austin because I have heard good things about the adult doc there, Dr. Fullmer, and not good things about the clinic in San Antonio. From what I understand, the adult CF clinic is at Dell Children's Hospital, but the adult patients are admitted at Seton. I have also heard good things about the hospital. I have no personal experience to add yet tho, so hopefully others will chime in.

As far as living in Texas, I'm not 100% sold yet. However, San Antonio is a lot different than other parts of Texas, even Austin, which is only about an hour and a half away. It is HOT and HUMID here. I thought I was used to heat and humidity from living in Nebraska, but wow, it is oppressive. I do know that we moved here at the worst possible time for weather though. The humidity does have me reaching for my albuterol inhaler slightly more often than I did at home. From what I have heard, it is less humid even in Austin, so if Austin is your Target destination that may be a tad better.

The one thing I love here is that people are SO friendly! It's crazy! I always thought Nebraskans were friendly until we got here. LOL. And I'm sure the winters will be great!

I can't be of any help in the insurance arena. We have BCBS of TX through my husbands employer, I haven't heard anything about any state run medical programs or anything of that nature.

Well, I better go, but good luck with your decision! Hope you get some more feedback as I know how stressful it can be!

Take Care,

Autumn 33 w/cf

I was seen in Texas at Dell by Dr. Fuller. He was very competent. When I would be admitted to Seton the nurses and staff were very good, they will bring you a fridge and a microwave and a stationary bike to have in your room. (This was 3 years ago though so I dont know if changes have been made.) I still like the CF center here in Ohio better but the food in Seton isn't bad but I do hope they have improved their gluten free food selection cause I'm moving back in October. They put in my port there too with no issues.

Hey Autumn,

Thanks for responding, how do like BCBS of TX? Do they cover all meds, and treatments? How about Hospitalizations and other medical situations? We have BCBS in MA and they have been amazing but again I'm probably in the best state for Health care, everything is covered, all meds, treatments, transplants, procedures for having babies, I mean everything! I work full time, but my wife is the primary subscriber for our family.
    I'm trying to get a good idea of what we'll need to pay out of pocket for meds, clinic visits, and future hospitalizations?
    Your current situation would mirror ours except my wife is the money maker and I'll be the stay at home dad until we can get settled.
    Please private message me if you feel or any advise so far with BCBS, we cant take the winters anymore here and her work industry in Boston is similar to Austin.

Thanks!
    43, Male w/CF
    Married with Twins

Hi Robin,

Are you moving back to Ohio strictly because of the care in Austin, work related or insurance coverage? I've heard that southern states like Texas can be difficult for people with CF in terms of not covering certain meds or medical procedures? Did you have any of these issues?

Thanks for your reply!!!
    43, Male w/CF
    Married with Twins

I lived in Texas for 15 years. I went to Ft Worth, Austin, and Dallas clinics.

Dallas clinics are pretty terrible. Austin is way better. I was too young to remember Ft Worth.

But insurance is a nightmare in Texas. If you're on medicaid, their coverage is pretty slim. I moved to Portland, and it has been a dream compared to Texas when it comes to food stamps, coverage, providers, alternative medicines (including massage and chiropractic).

Texas is one of the lowest ranked states in the country for social services, specifically for healthcare access, affordability, and quality. I'd avoid it.

I'm in the Fort Worth area, currently on United Health Care(UHC), previously BCBS. I feel the BCBS was better in the sense that referrals were not required for every Doctor except my PCP. Copay's were less overall by 20%'ish. Coverage for dependents was cheaper too.

Scooter

I moved from Texas to Ohio but now i'm prepping to move back, my husband is military so we go where they send us and health insurance is Tricare and they pay 100% without issue so I really know nothing about other health insurance plans.

I moved from Boston to Austin, but it was before I was diagnosed. I don't go to the CF clinic at Dell, but I have heard good things. I have a coworker whose daughter has gone there since she was a baby. They also treat adults. As far as insurance, to echo what others have said, Texas is real bad. I have BCBS, but I pay a ton more out of pocket than I did back home. For example, it's standard in Texas to have plans with huge deductibles, which is something I don't remember at all in Massachusetts.

boone06
    I have lived in Austin my whole life. I have seen Dr. Fullmer since I was around 18, now 26. The clinic is good, Seton hospital is alright, but insurance can be a pain. If your wife works for a good company it might not be a problem, but all depends on the carrier and plan whether it's good or not. Good Insurance premiums run around $500/employee, $1000/employee+spouse, and more for a family. My wife and I both have CF so it is obviously harder for us but we both work full time and are covered through our employer, although her premium is covered 100% and my premium is only covered 50% leaving me to cover the other 50%. If you have any other questions feel free to friend me on Facebook and send me a message so I know who you are. I don't get on here much unless there is a question or thread I'd like to chime in to.

-Ryan