PDA

View Full Version : Antibiotic Resistance Question

JennifersHope
01-01-2007, 11:09 PM
I know that our lung bugs can build up a resisteance to the antibiotics we take, but what I never pieced together was that fact that when I (we) have another type of infection in the body, that it won't heal because of the resistance to the antibiotic.

I have a bladder/kidney infection. I am taking Bactrim DS.. Two tablets twice a day and it isn't touching the infection...Bactrim has always worked so well for me, I used to get kidney infections all the time to the point where I was hospitalized with them several times a year...but I have not had one in a long time...

I am going to have them run a culture tomorrow, which will take a few days to get back so I can see what if anything will work better. I may get one of my Primary docs to give me a few doses of 'IV antibiotic" from work..

Anyway, my question is, has that ever happend to you, where you got a non cf related infection and you had a hard time clearing it?

Hope you guys are well..

Jennifer

JennifersHope
I know that our lung bugs can build up a resisteance to the antibiotics we take, but what I never pieced together was that fact that when I (we) have another type of infection in the body, that it won't heal because of the resistance to the antibiotic.

I have a bladder/kidney infection. I am taking Bactrim DS.. Two tablets twice a day and it isn't touching the infection...Bactrim has always worked so well for me, I used to get kidney infections all the time to the point where I was hospitalized with them several times a year...but I have not had one in a long time...

I am going to have them run a culture tomorrow, which will take a few days to get back so I can see what if anything will work better. I may get one of my Primary docs to give me a few doses of 'IV antibiotic" from work..

Anyway, my question is, has that ever happend to you, where you got a non cf related infection and you had a hard time clearing it?

Hope you guys are well..

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Hope you guys are well..

Jennifer

JazzysMom
01-01-2007, 11:12 PM
Rosie Odonnel said on the show that she had a MRSA infection in her hand so if she had that problem imagine what those of us taking a bunch are at risk for! Good luck getting relief!

JazzysMom
Rosie Odonnel said on the show that she had a MRSA infection in her hand so if she had that problem imagine what those of us taking a bunch are at risk for! Good luck getting relief!

JazzysMom

NoExcuses
01-02-2007, 02:12 AM
this is why overuse of antibiotics, especially antibiotics that kill bugs both in the lungs and the urinary tract is so dangerous.

this happens to people who have used quinolones a lot for lung infections (and why the CDC says they should be preserved and used less often). heaving uers of q's for upper respiratory tract infections (URI's) often times have resistant to that class when it's used for Urinary Tract Infections (UTI's).

This is why I've spent the past 3 years telling the primary care docs I call on to STOP USING Cipro, Levo & Avelox on their mild to moderate patients. Most likely those patients have an H. Flu, Strep Pneumo or Staph A. infection. But that doesn't mean that the antibiotic won't just treat the implicated bugs in the lungs. It will also treat any "normal flora" in the gut (E. coli) or low levels & non-symptamatic PA in the urinary tract. Primary cares are so irresponsible....

Jen, please get this cultured IMMEDIATELY. an ID needs to know what is causing your infection so that it doesn't get any worse. I know I'm not telling u something u dont' already know, but just wanted to empahsize the need to get this treated.

NoExcuses
this is why overuse of antibiotics, especially antibiotics that kill bugs both in the lungs and the urinary tract is so dangerous.

this happens to people who have used quinolones a lot for lung infections (and why the CDC says they should be preserved and used less often). heaving uers of q's for upper respiratory tract infections (URI's) often times have resistant to that class when it's used for Urinary Tract Infections (UTI's).

This is why I've spent the past 3 years telling the primary care docs I call on to STOP USING Cipro, Levo & Avelox on their mild to moderate patients. Most likely those patients have an H. Flu, Strep Pneumo or Staph A. infection. But that doesn't mean that the antibiotic won't just treat the implicated bugs in the lungs. It will also treat any "normal flora" in the gut (E. coli) or low levels & non-symptamatic PA in the urinary tract. Primary cares are so irresponsible....

Jen, please get this cultured IMMEDIATELY. an ID needs to know what is causing your infection so that it doesn't get any worse. I know I'm not telling u something u dont' already know, but just wanted to empahsize the need to get this treated.

NoExcuses

JennifersHope
01-03-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the response.. Amy I actually was supposed to do a culture today but I absoutly forgot... I was so, so, so, busy at work that I didnt' even have time to go peeps at all until it became an urgent matter...

I will have to do the culture tomorrow but it is going to be screwy because I have been on antibiotics for so long...

You make amazing points about PMDs using the big guns when they don't need to,

Jennifer

JennifersHope
Thanks for the response.. Amy I actually was supposed to do a culture today but I absoutly forgot... I was so, so, so, busy at work that I didnt' even have time to go peeps at all until it became an urgent matter...

I will have to do the culture tomorrow but it is going to be screwy because I have been on antibiotics for so long...

Jennifer

JennifersHope

Jennifer