PDA

View Full Version : New way to treat cystic fibrosis

NoExcuses
12-02-2006, 02:08 AM
<b>New way to treat cystic fibrosis </b>

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.upi.com/HealthBusiness/view.php?StoryID=20061201-032905-2330r
">http://www.upi.com/HealthBusin...20061201-032905-2330r
</a>

IOWA CITY, Iowa, Dec. 1 (UPI) -- People with cystic fibrosis block a natural antibiotic from reaching airway surfaces, and adding it may keep CF patients healthier.

The discovery was made at the University of Iowa by a team led by Botond Banfi and Patryk Moskwa.

The researchers found that normal lung airway cells produce an antibiotic compound called hypothiocyanite, which becomes part of airway surface fluids. The airway cells of people with CF do not allow thiocyanate, one of the constituents of hypothiocyanite, to cross their cell membranes, so the antibiotic is not produced and CF patients have fewer defenses against bacterial infections in the their lungs.

The team said that hypothiocyanite, which is not toxic to human cells or tissues, is very efficient at killing Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, the two bacteria most commonly associated with fatal lung infections in people with CF.

"If we could reconstitute thiocyanate concentrations in the airway surface liquid, perhaps using a nebulizer, it might boost host defenses in CF patients and help prevent bacterial lung infections," Banfi said.

The research is published in the Nov. 2 online issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

NoExcuses

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.upi.com/HealthBusiness/view.php?StoryID=20061201-032905-2330r
</a>

IOWA CITY, Iowa, Dec. 1 (UPI) -- People with cystic fibrosis block a natural antibiotic from reaching airway surfaces, and adding it may keep CF patients healthier.

The discovery was made at the University of Iowa by a team led by Botond Banfi and Patryk Moskwa.

The researchers found that normal lung airway cells produce an antibiotic compound called hypothiocyanite, which becomes part of airway surface fluids. The airway cells of people with CF do not allow thiocyanate, one of the constituents of hypothiocyanite, to cross their cell membranes, so the antibiotic is not produced and CF patients have fewer defenses against bacterial infections in the their lungs.

The team said that hypothiocyanite, which is not toxic to human cells or tissues, is very efficient at killing Staphylococcus aureus and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, the two bacteria most commonly associated with fatal lung infections in people with CF.

"If we could reconstitute thiocyanate concentrations in the airway surface liquid, perhaps using a nebulizer, it might boost host defenses in CF patients and help prevent bacterial lung infections," Banfi said.

The research is published in the Nov. 2 online issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

NoExcuses

</a>

JRPandTJP
12-02-2006, 02:38 AM
There is research underway (currently recruiting people with CF) on the use of Benzyl Isothiocyanates to treat CF. It is a substance found in papaya (you couldn't eat enough or extract it yourself).

See www.sharktank.org for more details. They published a scientific paper on their hypothesis and are getting ready to do the first clinical study on it's use. I would think these things are within the same "family" of chemical substances but I'm far from a scientist ;-)

Jody

JRPandTJP
There is research underway (currently recruiting people with CF) on the use of Benzyl Isothiocyanates to treat CF. It is a substance found in papaya (you couldn't eat enough or extract it yourself).

See www.sharktank.org for more details. They published a scientific paper on their hypothesis and are getting ready to do the first clinical study on it's use. I would think these things are within the same "family" of chemical substances but I'm far from a scientist ;-)

Jody

JRPandTJP

Jody

kayleesgrandma
12-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Good ole' University of Iowa! I'm proud to see that they have come up with something!

kayleesgrandma
Good ole' University of Iowa! I'm proud to see that they have come up with something!

kayleesgrandma

kayleesgrandma
12-02-2006, 03:28 AM
------------

kayleesgrandma
------------

kayleesgrandma
------------

beleache
12-02-2006, 11:45 AM
That sounds hopeful.....I will pray that something comes of it and the sooner the better... Thanks for the info.... Joni 54 y/o w c/f

beleache
That sounds hopeful.....I will pray that something comes of it and the sooner the better... Thanks for the info.... Joni 54 y/o w c/f

beleache