PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from Canadian Prairie Fires

Ratatosk
06-29-2006, 12:18 PM
They keep saying on the news that fires from Sask have caused a haze, smoke to cover our entire state. Max asked me what happened to the sun last evening as we were driving home from the store -- was kinda blurry looking to him I suppose, not as bright.

I can't say that I notice a different smell in the air, just certain times when the sunlight shines a certain way. My sinuses have been bugging me more lately, so I've been pushing the simply saline on Max, too to keep thing moving. It's also drier here because we haven't gotten much rain lately. But at least it's warm enough that we can hang out inside with the air conditioning and air cleaner humming.

Anyone having problems from fires in their area?

Liza

Beth
06-29-2006, 06:41 PM
You can definatly see the smoke here in Mandan ND. It was worse the last two days then it is today but you can really see it. I don't think that I've noticed a smell but I have't been smelling much the past couple of months because my sinuses are so bad.

Beth

thelizardqueen
06-29-2006, 10:10 PM
You can most definitly smell the smoke and see a haze here in Winnipeg, Manitoba. After all, Sask is next door to our province. Its been raising havoc with my lungs and allergies.

ladybug
07-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Yikes, Liza... hadn't even heard about fires in outside of ND! Hope all is well... we still have many relatives there.

Well, since moving to the southwest, we have fires out here every summer... most burning thousands of acres. We have one in AZ right now that covers Vegas with haze for the last couple weeks (its better now), and now we have one coming over the mountains behind our home... so, I'm sure that will cover our area soon too.

When I lived in St. George (southern Utah) with my parents, there was a time when there were 7 fires surrounding the city... there was even ash falling from the sky onto my car when I was running errands! YUCK!!! Anyway, I could sort of smell it, but not as much as you would think. I did find my chest became really really tight when I worked out or did any activity.

Here, they tell "sensitive groups" (like me) to stay indoors during the fires. Even if you can't see it, its there. And, with the dryness of living in the desert, I know how it can irritate the sinuses. Sounds like you're doing the right thing by using Saline washes. VERY important.

I wish you luck and hope all is going ok with this. Please keep us posted on the fires.

And, to anyone else effected, please let us know how you're doing. I think we with CF are especially impacted by these "forces of nature".