PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Acapella Choice

thelizardqueen
04-04-2006, 03:39 PM
So I just got the Acapella Choice yesterday, and just had a question about cleaning it. I'm wondering what others do. My doctor told me that I could easily get away with cleaning it once a week in warm soapy water and then let air dry, or I could put it in the dishwasher. I don't have a dishwasher, and am a little leary about ONLY washing it once a week, and ONLY washing it in soapy water. I boil all of my neb equipment, and want to know if I can boil the Acapella as well? I found a website that says the Acapella cannot be boiled, but the Acapella Choice can be boiled. Any ideas? What does everyone else do? And how often?

anonymous
04-04-2006, 04:32 PM
we boil the acapella choice every other day...once a week?! ick.

Faust
04-04-2006, 04:56 PM
From what I have read (very little), the regular acapella is the ghetto version, and the acapella choice is the better version that you can boil. I just turned my script into the pharmacy for mine today, for them to order. They want nearly 70 bucks for it. I have the 70 bucks, but I don't want to waste it on a gimmick that is crappy or just won't really help me. I use my vest now for my main clearance and love it, but I wouldn't mind something to use say on the drive to work when i didn't have time for a vest treatment, or when I get home and i'm exhausted and need clearance but can't deal with the vest.

Any opinions so far on the acapella choice? BTW I thought the flutter valve type devices from back in the day were pretty useless for me.

thelizardqueen
04-04-2006, 06:56 PM
I love the acapella choice. I've used it twice now, and find that I cough more up with it then I do the percussor. I even coughed up a nice green plug with it, and me + plugs = rare. I definitly feel the vibrations deep in my chest as opposed to the percussor, and it is such a time safer. I hated using the flutter, as it never really got a lot out of me, and never worked properly (you have to be in a certain position for it to work really well)

I'm definitly going to be cleaning it more then once a week - more likely every day or every second day. Who knows what lies inside that thing after using it often. At this point I don't even like the condensation that sits in it after using. I'll try boiling it tonight.

HairGirl
04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Wow Liz,  Sounds like I need that! I think I get immune to the
vest and that it doesn't work as well as it could, maybe I just
need something new to break things up! Wonder if my insurance would
cover it if I have the vest?

anonymous
04-04-2006, 07:46 PM
I boil it. Usually every other day. I do it with my nebs...soak in hot,soapy water..rinse and then boil for 10 minutes.

The regular Acapella can't be boiled, the Choice one can.

For anyone looking for one, I ordered one online for $50. THe place I ordered from is no longer in business but there is another place that sells them for around that price online. Can't seem to find it though

cutiepatootie
04-06-2006, 04:54 AM
So you like the Acapella Liz, I'm glad to hear that it works
for you as well as it works for me.  I think I have the older
model of the Acapella and I was told by the hospital to wash it
with warm soapy water, after every time I used it I think, well
that's what I do at least.  Also I soak mine in hot water once
a week, as hot as it can handle because I was told I could not boil
mine.  I hope that helps seeing how I use to go to that
hospital, but if you have the new Acapella choice and it says you
can boil it, I would most definitely boil it, I would boil
mine if I could.  Maybe I should try to get the new Acapella
choice, I'm glad to hear there a new one out that you can boil,
thanks. 

anonymous
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Reading about how the "acapella choice" seems to be such an asset I would like to purchase one. Do you know where I can? Do I need a prescription to purchase it?
Thanks

thelizardqueen
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I got one free at my clinic. I'm not sure how it works for everyone else. You may want to talk to your CF doctor or physio person about it. I seem to think that in the U.S you need a prescription for it, but again I'm not too sure.

anonymous
04-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Thank you Liz!

Faust
04-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I used it once, didn't have any effect on me, put it down and forgot about it. $60 bucks thrown down the tubes.

anonymous
04-19-2006, 10:30 PM
How does it compare to the flutter?

thelizardqueen
04-20-2006, 12:11 AM
The flutter works only if you are in a specific postion, and it uses ball bearings. The acapella can be done sitting down, reclining, etc. And it uses magnets to work. Its a lot easier the the flutter. I used to use the flutter and hated it, but love the acapella.

Laurie
04-24-2006, 10:36 PM
I received my acapella choice free when I was in the hospital. I know my respiratory therapist used to give me the flutter free too. You may want to ask the next time you are in the CF clinic.

I like the acapella choice better than the flutter. Seems like I get a little more up. It also fits in my mouth easier.

thelizardqueen
04-24-2006, 11:31 PM
PLus you can use the Acapella in any position, where as the flutter only works in a certain position.

anonymous
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
sean do not give up. try to 3 sets of 10 with a range of small to large huff cough after each set. I find that some of my pts forget to try to cough as the rush through the treatment.
angela in atlanta

mare
08-18-2006, 09:10 PM
I am interested in the Acapella also. The CF Pharmacy website lists 3 kinds. Choice, Hi flow and low flow. what's the difference?

thelizardqueen
08-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I belive that the Choice is a combo of the hi flow and low flow.