PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Low Sugar diet -- How do you keep weight up?

Alyssa
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Do those of you with diabetes have to eat low carb & low sugar diets?

My daughter (pancreatic sufficient - no diabetes) has been looking into "Adrenal Burnout" or "Adrenal Fatigue" because of some problems she has been experiencing. The information suggests that she is overworking the adrenal glands -- all the symptoms fit and we think we are on the right track but we are having difficulty with the diet that is recommended. Which is low sugar, low carb, low starch, high protine -- so I'm thinking this must be similar to what diabetics try to eat like?????

But it runs so contrary to how she has been used to eating trying to keep her weight up with extra fats from dairy like whole milk, ice cream & whip cream. She already doesn't eat wheat products due to allergies, so if we cut out everything they want us to she will basically be reduced to meat, eggs & vegitables. We think she will drop weight like crazy. What do you think? Is there anything that is calorie packed that doesn't have starch, carbs or sugar?

Alyssa
02-22-2006, 11:25 PM
Do those of you with diabetes have to eat low carb & low sugar diets?

My daughter (pancreatic sufficient - no diabetes) has been looking into "Adrenal Burnout" or "Adrenal Fatigue" because of some problems she has been experiencing. The information suggests that she is overworking the adrenal glands -- all the symptoms fit and we think we are on the right track but we are having difficulty with the diet that is recommended. Which is low sugar, low carb, low starch, high protine -- so I'm thinking this must be similar to what diabetics try to eat like?????

But it runs so contrary to how she has been used to eating trying to keep her weight up with extra fats from dairy like whole milk, ice cream & whip cream. She already doesn't eat wheat products due to allergies, so if we cut out everything they want us to she will basically be reduced to meat, eggs & vegitables. We think she will drop weight like crazy. What do you think? Is there anything that is calorie packed that doesn't have starch, carbs or sugar?

anonymous
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi,

with cfrd you are normally not on a low carb diet (different to a "normal" diabetes).You eat what you like, try to count the carbs and take the proper amount of insulin for your meal. Well I avoid normal coke because I would need too much insulin for that and I like diet coke more.
Low carbs, but high calories: fat, like fat meat, nuts,olives,much oil in the salad.
I donīt know what "Adrenal Burnout" is, but what are her symptoms? Beeing tired for example is a "normal" cf-thing, caused by lung infection, antibiotics etc.

Uli,43,Germany,cf/cfrd

anonymous
02-22-2006, 11:38 PM
Hi,

with cfrd you are normally not on a low carb diet (different to a "normal" diabetes).You eat what you like, try to count the carbs and take the proper amount of insulin for your meal. Well I avoid normal coke because I would need too much insulin for that and I like diet coke more.
Low carbs, but high calories: fat, like fat meat, nuts,olives,much oil in the salad.
I donīt know what "Adrenal Burnout" is, but what are her symptoms? Beeing tired for example is a "normal" cf-thing, caused by lung infection, antibiotics etc.

Uli,43,Germany,cf/cfrd

JennifersHope
02-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I am just heading to bed and I saw this post.. I have Addison's disease which is total adrenal failure

. The only way to know for sure if she has adrenal gland insuff, is to have a test on the adrenal glands which is called an ACTH stimulation test... ACTH is the hormone that secretes the stimulant to cause the adrenals to work. Other tests can be helpful but this is the only test to say for sure.. If you daughter is exhibiting signs of adrenal fatigue.. I can't recommend enough going to an endocrinologist. Diet is slightly helpful, but not really..

I was almost dead and I was delusional before I was dx...True adrenal insufficiency is rare, 1 in 160,000 people last time I checked..In the beginning stages of adrenal failure.. which I think is called fatigue, I was real tired, confused, forgetful, muscle pain and weakness, which I had for years and years... all through my twentys it got worse and worse.. every time I got sick with CF flare up, it took me a long time to recover, unusal amoung of time..As time went on, I got weaker and weaker.. stress makes you sicker,.. my blood pressure bottomed out, I turned brown and was borderline hallucinating... (THat is why I freak about my current memory loss) but my biggest outward sign was mental status change... My sodium levels in my blood were real low, and I had virutally no cortisol in my body..

Anyway, as far as diet, I can't really help to much. My endo in the beginning told me to eat lower carbs but not to cut them out totally.

Jennifer

JennifersHope
02-22-2006, 11:44 PM
I am just heading to bed and I saw this post.. I have Addison's disease which is total adrenal failure

. The only way to know for sure if she has adrenal gland insuff, is to have a test on the adrenal glands which is called an ACTH stimulation test... ACTH is the hormone that secretes the stimulant to cause the adrenals to work. Other tests can be helpful but this is the only test to say for sure.. If you daughter is exhibiting signs of adrenal fatigue.. I can't recommend enough going to an endocrinologist. Diet is slightly helpful, but not really..

I was almost dead and I was delusional before I was dx...True adrenal insufficiency is rare, 1 in 160,000 people last time I checked..In the beginning stages of adrenal failure.. which I think is called fatigue, I was real tired, confused, forgetful, muscle pain and weakness, which I had for years and years... all through my twentys it got worse and worse.. every time I got sick with CF flare up, it took me a long time to recover, unusal amoung of time..As time went on, I got weaker and weaker.. stress makes you sicker,.. my blood pressure bottomed out, I turned brown and was borderline hallucinating... (THat is why I freak about my current memory loss) but my biggest outward sign was mental status change... My sodium levels in my blood were real low, and I had virutally no cortisol in my body..

Anyway, as far as diet, I can't really help to much. My endo in the beginning told me to eat lower carbs but not to cut them out totally.

Jennifer

JazzysMom
02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
CFRD does need to be handled differently then regular diabetes. Most CFers cant risk the reduction in calories/carbs so they control sugars with insulin. I think Jenn is the best one (that I know of) to answer most of the ?? since she has been there & done that & continues with it.......

JazzysMom
02-23-2006, 01:58 PM
CFRD does need to be handled differently then regular diabetes. Most CFers cant risk the reduction in calories/carbs so they control sugars with insulin. I think Jenn is the best one (that I know of) to answer most of the ?? since she has been there & done that & continues with it.......

anonymous
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
You can eat a high carb meal with protein but just simply exercise for forty five minutes or more. This will help you regulate glucose levels=help with weight gain. This worked wonders for me. When you beef up high gycemic foods after working out, you are utilizing the food because you are letting your pancreas work more efficiently with exercise. If you are diabetic I think it is important to stick to a workout routine to see maximum results. Eating high calorie foods and eating them throughout the day will help. Keeping a level not just going for the spikes on high carbs. Having moderate levels of protein and carbs plus healthy fats will increase weight gain. Having five or more small meals help. When I eat nut butters, I become hungry. It is so strange but it works to increase my appetite. Healthy fats have something to them.
Risa

anonymous
02-23-2006, 02:08 PM
You can eat a high carb meal with protein but just simply exercise for forty five minutes or more. This will help you regulate glucose levels=help with weight gain. This worked wonders for me. When you beef up high gycemic foods after working out, you are utilizing the food because you are letting your pancreas work more efficiently with exercise. If you are diabetic I think it is important to stick to a workout routine to see maximum results. Eating high calorie foods and eating them throughout the day will help. Keeping a level not just going for the spikes on high carbs. Having moderate levels of protein and carbs plus healthy fats will increase weight gain. Having five or more small meals help. When I eat nut butters, I become hungry. It is so strange but it works to increase my appetite. Healthy fats have something to them.
Risa

thelizardqueen
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
CFRD needs to be handled differently then regular diabetes. The CF part of us NEEDS that high carb/high fat diet, but the diabetic part doesn't need the sugary stuff. Rule of thumb for me, is that I continue with my high fat/high carb diet, but I exercise to keep my sugars low, and I've cut majority of sugars out i.e. sugary pops, candy, cake, cookies, etc. The only sugary stuff I allow in my diet is juice.

thelizardqueen
02-23-2006, 02:31 PM
CFRD needs to be handled differently then regular diabetes. The CF part of us NEEDS that high carb/high fat diet, but the diabetic part doesn't need the sugary stuff. Rule of thumb for me, is that I continue with my high fat/high carb diet, but I exercise to keep my sugars low, and I've cut majority of sugars out i.e. sugary pops, candy, cake, cookies, etc. The only sugary stuff I allow in my diet is juice.

Diane
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I've had diabetes for 26 years now and i have pretty much eaten whatever i want in moderation and when it is "allowed" according to my blood sugar testing. I LOVE chocolate, candies, cookies and cakes, etc., but only eat them when its "allowed".... otherwise I eat a pretty high protein, medium carb diet. Cheese is a great way to add fat and protein to the diet. Nuts are a good choice also ( walnuts and cashews are my favorites). My blood sugars always run higher in the evening so i sometimes take some regular ( short acting) insulin to counter act it. Also like Risa said , exercise is a great blood sugar reducer, along with being good for our lungs as well. It takes a while to see what works for an individual, what works for one may not work so well for another.

Diane
02-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I've had diabetes for 26 years now and i have pretty much eaten whatever i want in moderation and when it is "allowed" according to my blood sugar testing. I LOVE chocolate, candies, cookies and cakes, etc., but only eat them when its "allowed".... otherwise I eat a pretty high protein, medium carb diet. Cheese is a great way to add fat and protein to the diet. Nuts are a good choice also ( walnuts and cashews are my favorites). My blood sugars always run higher in the evening so i sometimes take some regular ( short acting) insulin to counter act it. Also like Risa said , exercise is a great blood sugar reducer, along with being good for our lungs as well. It takes a while to see what works for an individual, what works for one may not work so well for another.