PDA

View Full Version : Question 4

Imogene
12-16-2008, 04:11 PM
Have you or your family members ever experienced difficulty paying medical bills? What do you think
policy makers can do to address this problem?

Imogene
Have you or your family members ever experienced difficulty paying medical bills? What do you think

Imogene

Imogene

Imogene
<br />policy makers can do to address this problem?

Rebjane
12-17-2008, 01:29 PM
Not yet, but caring for a CF child in this worsening economy; I am sure we will. One problem is the underinsured or uninsured often get caught up in paying a higher price than those insured or those on Medicare for the SAME hospital procedures. The health insurance company will say; they will ONLY reimburse at a certain rate so the hospital will agree to the lower rate but still charge a uninsured person the higher rate because they can and the uninsured person does not have someone negotiating a fair price for them.

Rebjane
Not yet, but caring for a CF child in this worsening economy; I am sure we will. One problem is the underinsured or uninsured often get caught up in paying a higher price than those insured or those on Medicare for the SAME hospital procedures. The health insurance company will say; they will ONLY reimburse at a certain rate so the hospital will agree to the lower rate but still charge a uninsured person the higher rate because they can and the uninsured person does not have someone negotiating a fair price for them.

Rebjane

Rebjane

Rebjane

fourkidsmom
12-19-2008, 03:59 PM
This worries me all the time, sometimes I think it hurts my health. We have been ok thus far, but like Rebecca said with the economy I feel it can happen anytime.

fourkidsmom
This worries me all the time, sometimes I think it hurts my health. We have been ok thus far, but like Rebecca said with the economy I feel it can happen anytime.

fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

fourkidsmom

mamerth
12-19-2008, 08:57 PM
They need to make insurance more affordable for the self-employed.

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

mamerth

Brad
12-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Yes I have ,and I am still paying on a big one
because I lost my Ins,I keep trying get New Ins.
But I keep hitting the Preexisting condition wall.

Every Company is happy to sell me Insurance,But they
won't allow me to use it for Cf Duh...for 12 to 24 months.

Brad

Brad

Brad

Brad
<br />because I lost my Ins,I keep trying get New Ins.
<br />But I keep hitting the Preexisting condition wall.
<br />
<br /> Every Company is happy to sell me Insurance,But they
<br /> won't allow me to use it for Cf Duh...for 12 to 24 months.

tarheel
12-24-2008, 01:24 AM
not yet- my parents pay the bills with good insurance and a six figure salary. I worry about getting a job and paying bills (stirctly medical- I dont care if i freeze if i cant get tobi) all the time. It really really concerns me because Pres Elect Obama's first term essentially covers the window of time I still have to be a dependent on my parents plan.

tarheel
not yet- my parents pay the bills with good insurance and a six figure salary. I worry about getting a job and paying bills (stirctly medical- I dont care if i freeze if i cant get tobi) all the time. It really really concerns me because Pres Elect Obama's first term essentially covers the window of time I still have to be a dependent on my parents plan.

tarheel

tarheel

tarheel

kmaried
12-24-2008, 04:37 AM
I haven't had difficulty yet.

I have a good job at a large corporation with a choice of medical plans (that was no coincidence -- I job searched based upon good medical benefits!)

What does concern me though, is I'm getting married in a few months, and I worry I will be a burden to my husband. I know I won't be eligible for a lot of benefits down the road if I can't work, because he's working. I've seen a lot of couples get divorced on paper just not to wind up bankrupt...

kmaried

I have a good job at a large corporation with a choice of medical plans (that was no coincidence -- I job searched based upon good medical benefits!)

What does concern me though, is I'm getting married in a few months, and I worry I will be a burden to my husband. I know I won't be eligible for a lot of benefits down the road if I can't work, because he's working. I've seen a lot of couples get divorced on paper just not to wind up bankrupt...

kmaried

kmaried

kmaried
<br />
<br />I have a good job at a large corporation with a choice of medical plans (that was no coincidence -- I job searched based upon good medical benefits!)
<br />
<br />What does concern me though, is I'm getting married in a few months, and I worry I will be a burden to my husband. I know I won't be eligible for a lot of benefits down the road if I can't work, because he's working. I've seen a lot of couples get divorced on paper just not to wind up bankrupt...

saveferris2009
12-25-2008, 11:47 AM
i have purposely taken the tough road to get a higher education so that i could be more selective with my employment options (with good health insurance) and to open up more employment opportunities should it become harder for me to work as the disease progresses.

i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.

saveferris2009
i have purposely taken the tough road to get a higher education so that i could be more selective with my employment options (with good health insurance) and to open up more employment opportunities should it become harder for me to work as the disease progresses.

i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.

saveferris2009

saveferris2009

saveferris2009
<br />
<br />i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.

Sakem
12-25-2008, 03:38 PM
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.</end quote></div>

Not all CFers are medically able to work on a full time basis let alone attend college on a full time basis.
CFers can not totally plan their life, even if they are working a good job with great benefits and income, and they become ill, things can quickly change with their ability to pay. A USC MBA degree doesn't do much good from a hospital bed.

So to answer the question, I do not think insurance should strictly be based on your current job. COBRA is not practicly for most and pre exsisting conditions should not be able to be used against someone obtaining an afforadable and fair health insurance policty.

Sakem
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>saveferris2009</b></i>

i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.</end quote></div>

Not all CFers are medically able to work on a full time basis let alone attend college on a full time basis.
CFers can not totally plan their life, even if they are working a good job with great benefits and income, and they become ill, things can quickly change with their ability to pay. A USC MBA degree doesn't do much good from a hospital bed.

So to answer the question, I do not think insurance should strictly be based on your current job. COBRA is not practicly for most and pre exsisting conditions should not be able to be used against someone obtaining an afforadable and fair health insurance policty.

Sakem

Sakem

i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.</end quote>

Sakem
<br />
<br />i have purposely taken the tough road to get a higher education so that i could be more selective with my employment options (with good health insurance) and to open up more employment opportunities should it become harder for me to work as the disease progresses.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />i realize CF parents are in a very different situation than CFer's themselves, as CFer's can plan their live with CF whereas for most parents of CFer's the kid with CF was a surprise. But for CFer's, putting all energy, time, resources and effort into gaining an education to open job opportunities is one of the best ways to stay in control of the insurance situation.</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Not all CFers are medically able to work on a full time basis let alone attend college on a full time basis.
<br />CFers can not totally plan their life, even if they are working a good job with great benefits and income, and they become ill, things can quickly change with their ability to pay. A USC MBA degree doesn't do much good from a hospital bed.
<br />
<br />So to answer the question, I do not think insurance should strictly be based on your current job. COBRA is not practicly for most and pre exsisting conditions should not be able to be used against someone obtaining an afforadable and fair health insurance policty.

ginandbrea
12-26-2008, 05:58 AM
I second Sakem, not everyone with CF or not has that opportunity to attend college and earn a degree. Right now I am just trying to get my child through elementary school. And I have my own made up acronym for COBRA !

ginandbrea
I second Sakem, not everyone with CF or not has that opportunity to attend college and earn a degree. Right now I am just trying to get my child through elementary school. And I have my own made up acronym for COBRA !

ginandbrea

ginandbrea

ginandbrea

Jane
12-26-2008, 03:18 PM
We have been very fortunate thay our health insurance covers all of the boys' needs so far.

Jane
We have been very fortunate thay our health insurance covers all of the boys' needs so far.

Jane

Jane

Jane

regina65
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
i have the same problem i get ssi in arkansas dont get much of a check but as long as i get $1 in ssi benefits i am elgible for medicaid thats the reason we havent got married because i will lose my medicaid and insurance thru bcbs is $400 a month and a year waiting period and then 2000 deductible

regina/44/w/cf

regina65
i have the same problem i get ssi in arkansas dont get much of a check but as long as i get $1 in ssi benefits i am elgible for medicaid thats the reason we havent got married because i will lose my medicaid and insurance thru bcbs is $400 a month and a year waiting period and then 2000 deductible

regina/44/w/cf

regina65

regina/44/w/cf

regina65

regina/44/w/cf

regina65
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /> regina/44/w/cf

Tammy15
07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
My daughter can't work and SSD benefit is not enough to cover hospital stay co pay and the RX some cost quite a bit. I know that some employers had RX insurance that you could get a 90 day supply for 8.00 of anything, then the following year went to 10 , now does not exist. I have no understanding if you can get an RX 90 supply for a set proce why drug companies spend less on their lobbying activities and more making sure RX is affordable. and the generic crap same company making same thing charging less how bout make same and charge less price. And generic are garbage in some cases my sone got a generic ultrase, he opened bottle 2 days later pills had all disolved was goo and water left

Tammy15
My daughter can't work and SSD benefit is not enough to cover hospital stay co pay and the RX some cost quite a bit. I know that some employers had RX insurance that you could get a 90 day supply for 8.00 of anything, then the following year went to 10 , now does not exist. I have no understanding if you can get an RX 90 supply for a set proce why drug companies spend less on their lobbying activities and more making sure RX is affordable. and the generic crap same company making same thing charging less how bout make same and charge less price. And generic are garbage in some cases my sone got a generic ultrase, he opened bottle 2 days later pills had all disolved was goo and water left

Tammy15

Tammy15

Tammy15

cfpatience
10-25-2009, 02:07 AM
Yes. Unfortunately there have been times I have had no money to pay for some of the meds and the clinic did not have any to give me and I have had to skip some sometimes.

Unfortunately I do not know how policy makers can address this problem. Perhaps the Drug Makers could have a system to occasionally help out their users.

cfpatience
Yes. Unfortunately there have been times I have had no money to pay for some of the meds and the clinic did not have any to give me and I have had to skip some sometimes.

Unfortunately I do not know how policy makers can address this problem. Perhaps the Drug Makers could have a system to occasionally help out their users.

cfpatience

cfpatience

cfpatience
<br />
<br />Unfortunately I do not know how policy makers can address this problem. Perhaps the Drug Makers could have a system to occasionally help out their users.