PDA

View Full Version : creon and milk

stringbean
04-23-2009, 09:52 PM
My 7 yr old daughter was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency a few months ago and she now takes creon 10 (3 with meals and 2 with snacks) The pharmacist mentioned that she shouldn't have milk or ice cream with the pills, which wasn't much of a problem since she doesn't particularly care for ice cream.

Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.

So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?

We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?

Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!!!!!

stringbean
My 7 yr old daughter was diagnosed with pancreatic insufficiency a few months ago and she now takes creon 10 (3 with meals and 2 with snacks) The pharmacist mentioned that she shouldn't have milk or ice cream with the pills, which wasn't much of a problem since she doesn't particularly care for ice cream.

Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.

So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?

We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?

stringbean

stringbean

stringbean
<br />
<br />Since starting the medication, she has LOST four pounds (or more -- we have another weigh-in next week) It's killing me -- it took so much effort to get her up to 40 pounds (and honestly, I think it was the fecal fat test that finally pushed her over 40 pounds). She hasn't been hungry since starting on the medication.
<br />
<br />So many of the recipes I've read on this site seem to have milk and cream. I went back to the Creon website and their literature says it shouldn't be taken with milk. I asked her doctor and he said he'd leave it up to me. Eek! She's taking so many pills, I'm afraid to try. Will it upset her stomach? Are the pills just less efficient? Could that lead to further weight loss?
<br />
<br />We have an appointment with a nutritionist, but that's not until June. I'd love to be able to give my daughter drinks with cream to increase her weight, but I'm afraid to make things worse. (She just can't seem eat enough at one sitting, so I'm looking for a way to quickly give her a ton of calories.) Has anyone had a bad experience with using Creon and milk? Does the dosage make a difference?
<br />
<br />Thanks! I'd appreciate any advice I can get!!!!!!

JazzysMom
04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
I was never told by anyone not to have milk/dairy when using my creons. I know many people (kids included) who use dairy & take creons....

This is new to me!!!

As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.

Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.

I wouldnt be afraid to try milk.

I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom
I was never told by anyone not to have milk/dairy when using my creons. I know many people (kids included) who use dairy & take creons....

This is new to me!!!

As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.

Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.

I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

This is new to me!!!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom

This is new to me!!!

Good Luck!

JazzysMom
<br />
<br />This is new to me!!!
<br />
<br />As to the wait loss...it could be a few things. Does she take anything for acid? This can occur even without "obvious" symtpoms, but acid makes the enzymes less effective.
<br />
<br />Not all enzymes work for everyone & sometimes a person has to change because their body doesnt get the full benefit from what they were using anymore.
<br />
<br />I wouldnt be afraid to try milk.
<br />
<br />I also suggest you put this post in the family section as well. I think you will get more responses as the Nutrition area is not read as often!
<br />
<br />Good Luck!

mneville
04-23-2009, 11:50 PM
I don't think that is correct at all!! I think they mean that you should not give the Creon with milk or milk products! Meaning don't mix the beads with milk and then give it to your child. Of course she can have milk after taking the enzymes. My Aidan lives on milk products with high doses of Creon. He is a massive weight gainer. 60 pounds at age 4!
Megan

mneville
I don't think that is correct at all!! I think they mean that you should not give the Creon with milk or milk products! Meaning don't mix the beads with milk and then give it to your child. Of course she can have milk after taking the enzymes. My Aidan lives on milk products with high doses of Creon. He is a massive weight gainer. 60 pounds at age 4!
Megan

mneville
Megan

mneville
Megan

mneville
<br />Megan

JennyCoulon
04-24-2009, 12:53 AM
Our oldest son is on Creon 20's and he has a g button that he gets Carnation Instant Breakfast thru it. Our youngest is on Creon 10's and loves milk. I think that they mean don't give the enzymes with milk products. I would check with the CF clinic.

JennyCoulon
Our oldest son is on Creon 20's and he has a g button that he gets Carnation Instant Breakfast thru it. Our youngest is on Creon 10's and loves milk. I think that they mean don't give the enzymes with milk products. I would check with the CF clinic.

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

JennyCoulon

ehtansky21
04-24-2009, 02:11 AM
I agree, that they are just saying don't swallow the enzymes with milk. But as a side note, there are many other high calorie, high fat products that are not milk products.
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
I agree, that they are just saying don't swallow the enzymes with milk. But as a side note, there are many other high calorie, high fat products that are not milk products.
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

Ratatosk
04-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I agree with what the others are saying. We give DS Carnation instant breakfast with whole milk and cream. He loves cheese. IMO, give your clinic a call, especially if the pharmacy might be giving incorrect info to other patients.

As for adding more calories, I do try to add olive oil or butter to some of DS' meals.

Ratatosk
I agree with what the others are saying. We give DS Carnation instant breakfast with whole milk and cream. He loves cheese. IMO, give your clinic a call, especially if the pharmacy might be giving incorrect info to other patients.

As for adding more calories, I do try to add olive oil or butter to some of DS' meals.

Ratatosk

Ratatosk

Ratatosk
<br />
<br />As for adding more calories, I do try to add olive oil or butter to some of DS' meals.

2sickkids
04-26-2009, 08:21 PM
They have never mentioned not giving milk at with my sons. Now I don't like them drinking milk for phlem reasons. But that's subjective. Other people don't notice that so much.
If your kiddo doesn't have bloodsugar issues try adding icecream topping like butterscotch,choc,strawberry or and other flavor syrup to things or as a dip with snack. They are fairly high cal in small dose.

2sickkids
They have never mentioned not giving milk at with my sons. Now I don't like them drinking milk for phlem reasons. But that's subjective. Other people don't notice that so much.
If your kiddo doesn't have bloodsugar issues try adding icecream topping like butterscotch,choc,strawberry or and other flavor syrup to things or as a dip with snack. They are fairly high cal in small dose.

2sickkids

2sickkids

2sickkids
<br /> If your kiddo doesn't have bloodsugar issues try adding icecream topping like butterscotch,choc,strawberry or and other flavor syrup to things or as a dip with snack. They are fairly high cal in small dose.

MissKitty
04-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I was told by my doctor not to have milk or milk products but not when I take my creon. I dont like milk much but my mom used to put creon in my pudding, which has milk in it. As for the weight loss, maybe she needs more enzymes. I take as many now as I did as a kid. I take 3-5 with snack and 6-8 with meals. I usually just take 7 with everything because I dont just snack, I eat a whole meal. Now if I eat something high in fat and protein like red meats or any kind of meat in general, I'll take 8. Has she tried Pancrease(pancrelipase)? I have a friend who has CF and he had a weight gain problem with Creon as well and was switched to Pancrease. But he takes about 20 with every meal.

MissKitty
I was told by my doctor not to have milk or milk products but not when I take my creon. I dont like milk much but my mom used to put creon in my pudding, which has milk in it. As for the weight loss, maybe she needs more enzymes. I take as many now as I did as a kid. I take 3-5 with snack and 6-8 with meals. I usually just take 7 with everything because I dont just snack, I eat a whole meal. Now if I eat something high in fat and protein like red meats or any kind of meat in general, I'll take 8. Has she tried Pancrease(pancrelipase)? I have a friend who has CF and he had a weight gain problem with Creon as well and was switched to Pancrease. But he takes about 20 with every meal.

MissKitty

MissKitty

MissKitty

stringbean
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
We saw the pediatrician today and my daughter has put on a little bit of weight, which initially seemed like great news -- but she's also grown, so she in effect has just stayed even. At least she's not losing!

Since putting milk and cream back in her diet, the poor kid is burping like crazy. The pediatrician suggested giving her some lactaid tablets (wow, I SO hate the idea of giving her even more pills!) But I may be forced to because I'm supposed to add another 600 calories to her diet and I've done everything I can think of just getting her to eat what she's eating now. If I take away the cream, I'm really going to have trouble!!!

We see her gastroentrologist next month. He may want to make some changes if she doesn't increase her weight this month.

Thanks for telling me your story. I'll ask about Pancrease...

stringbean
We saw the pediatrician today and my daughter has put on a little bit of weight, which initially seemed like great news -- but she's also grown, so she in effect has just stayed even. At least she's not losing!

Since putting milk and cream back in her diet, the poor kid is burping like crazy. The pediatrician suggested giving her some lactaid tablets (wow, I SO hate the idea of giving her even more pills!) But I may be forced to because I'm supposed to add another 600 calories to her diet and I've done everything I can think of just getting her to eat what she's eating now. If I take away the cream, I'm really going to have trouble!!!

We see her gastroentrologist next month. He may want to make some changes if she doesn't increase her weight this month.

stringbean

stringbean

stringbean
<br />
<br />Since putting milk and cream back in her diet, the poor kid is burping like crazy. The pediatrician suggested giving her some lactaid tablets (wow, I SO hate the idea of giving her even more pills!) But I may be forced to because I'm supposed to add another 600 calories to her diet and I've done everything I can think of just getting her to eat what she's eating now. If I take away the cream, I'm really going to have trouble!!!
<br />
<br />We see her gastroentrologist next month. He may want to make some changes if she doesn't increase her weight this month.
<br />
<br />Thanks for telling me your story. I'll ask about Pancrease...

ehtansky21
04-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Changing enzymes always make a difference for my kids. but it usually lasts for only a short time.
There are so many health benefits to coconut milk, coconut oil, flax oil, olive oil. I make shakes for my 5 year old in which he gets an extra 1000 calories in in a day. We chose to make our own drinks as the sugar and not so natural content in the pre-made supplements were not appealing to us at all.
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
Changing enzymes always make a difference for my kids. but it usually lasts for only a short time.
There are so many health benefits to coconut milk, coconut oil, flax oil, olive oil. I make shakes for my 5 year old in which he gets an extra 1000 calories in in a day. We chose to make our own drinks as the sugar and not so natural content in the pre-made supplements were not appealing to us at all.
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
blessings,
missa

ehtansky21
<br />There are so many health benefits to coconut milk, coconut oil, flax oil, olive oil. I make shakes for my 5 year old in which he gets an extra 1000 calories in in a day. We chose to make our own drinks as the sugar and not so natural content in the pre-made supplements were not appealing to us at all.
<br />blessings,
<br />missa

stringbean
04-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I tried coconut milk and oil before getting her back on milk, but she didn't like it at all. Of course, it could be because I tried remembering a smoothie recipe rather than looking it up - I probably screwed up the proportions! I will try again because I'm thinking a pina coloda would be pretty good in the summer...

I went to buy flax oil and when I asked a question about it, the salesperson had me talk to their nutritionist. Turns out he was a "organic herbalist" and he somehow convinced me to forego the flax oil and buy some nutrition bars instead. (I did ask for something she could eat on the run, since sitting at the table seems to make her a litle nuts -- but these bars are HORRID.)

I can't wait to see the nutritionist and gastroenterologist next month because I'm reasonably sure they have a better idea than an organic herbalist on how to feed my girl. It seems like, since February, I've thought of nothing else except how to get my little girl to gain a pound or two! Thanks for the tips...

stringbean
I tried coconut milk and oil before getting her back on milk, but she didn't like it at all. Of course, it could be because I tried remembering a smoothie recipe rather than looking it up - I probably screwed up the proportions! I will try again because I'm thinking a pina coloda would be pretty good in the summer...

I went to buy flax oil and when I asked a question about it, the salesperson had me talk to their nutritionist. Turns out he was a "organic herbalist" and he somehow convinced me to forego the flax oil and buy some nutrition bars instead. (I did ask for something she could eat on the run, since sitting at the table seems to make her a litle nuts -- but these bars are HORRID.)

I can't wait to see the nutritionist and gastroenterologist next month because I'm reasonably sure they have a better idea than an organic herbalist on how to feed my girl. It seems like, since February, I've thought of nothing else except how to get my little girl to gain a pound or two! Thanks for the tips...

stringbean

stringbean

stringbean
<br />
<br />I went to buy flax oil and when I asked a question about it, the salesperson had me talk to their nutritionist. Turns out he was a "organic herbalist" and he somehow convinced me to forego the flax oil and buy some nutrition bars instead. (I did ask for something she could eat on the run, since sitting at the table seems to make her a litle nuts -- but these bars are HORRID.)
<br />
<br />I can't wait to see the nutritionist and gastroenterologist next month because I'm reasonably sure they have a better idea than an organic herbalist on how to feed my girl. It seems like, since February, I've thought of nothing else except how to get my little girl to gain a pound or two! Thanks for the tips...

MissKitty
05-01-2009, 08:11 PM
I used to work at a natural/organic store and I cannot think of one reason why that person would tell you not to buy flax oil at that time, to see your nutritionist first. My knowledge of this is that flax oil is perfectly fine and because its flax and not fish oil she wont have the awful fishy taste and burps. They also have a strawberry smoothie flax oil supplement, that is if you or your daughter doesn't want the weird taste.

MissKitty
I used to work at a natural/organic store and I cannot think of one reason why that person would tell you not to buy flax oil at that time, to see your nutritionist first. My knowledge of this is that flax oil is perfectly fine and because its flax and not fish oil she wont have the awful fishy taste and burps. They also have a strawberry smoothie flax oil supplement, that is if you or your daughter doesn't want the weird taste.

MissKitty

MissKitty

MissKitty