PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil

Rebjane
12-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I know this has been discussed before but do any of you give your child with CF Fish oil supplements? I was thinking of doing this for my daughter with CF but the supplement is expensive and I don't want to add something if it's expensive with minimal improvements. my daughter does eat fish but we eat it about once a week so I know thats not enough so i thought of the supplements. When I was nursing my daughter i took fish oil and did notice my skin seemed healthier while I was on it. TIA

Rebjane
I know this has been discussed before but do any of you give your child with CF Fish oil supplements? I was thinking of doing this for my daughter with CF but the supplement is expensive and I don't want to add something if it's expensive with minimal improvements. my daughter does eat fish but we eat it about once a week so I know thats not enough so i thought of the supplements. When I was nursing my daughter i took fish oil and did notice my skin seemed healthier while I was on it. TIA

Rebjane

Ratatosk
12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
When some studies came out about fish oil helping with inflammation issues, we'd asked our doctor about it. DS wasn't quite a year old. He laughed and said the amount of fish oil we'd need to give him, would pretty much be impossible to give him. I could see his point. We were struggling to get DS to drink his formula and eat solids. How were we going to get 10-30 fish oil capsules down him....

I do know that our dietician has mentioned using fish oil in the future as a supplement. Not in the quantity listed above. Think her son is on the orange flavored gel. We haven't tried it. We do put a drop of A & E in DS's morning CIB, but that's the extent of anything fishy.

Ratatosk
When some studies came out about fish oil helping with inflammation issues, we'd asked our doctor about it. DS wasn't quite a year old. He laughed and said the amount of fish oil we'd need to give him, would pretty much be impossible to give him. I could see his point. We were struggling to get DS to drink his formula and eat solids. How were we going to get 10-30 fish oil capsules down him....

I do know that our dietician has mentioned using fish oil in the future as a supplement. Not in the quantity listed above. Think her son is on the orange flavored gel. We haven't tried it. We do put a drop of A & E in DS's morning CIB, but that's the extent of anything fishy.

Ratatosk

Rebjane
12-15-2006, 06:02 PM
Our CF doc said pretty much the same thing, that we could not give enough fish oil(like 30 pills a day) to make a clinical difference. He said you'ld be on the potty all day as well. He did say however that they(researchers) don't know if low-dose fish oil daily is beneficial or not. Said didn't know if it would help but probobly wouldn't hurt her to give daily fish oil(not high dose supplemens). I just thought if it's healthy for the general population to get enough DHA/omega 3's then maybe it would be healthy for my daughter with CF's general well-being. also, Maggie swallows capsules like she's an adult so she woudn't have to taste the fish oil.

Rebjane
Our CF doc said pretty much the same thing, that we could not give enough fish oil(like 30 pills a day) to make a clinical difference. He said you'ld be on the potty all day as well. He did say however that they(researchers) don't know if low-dose fish oil daily is beneficial or not. Said didn't know if it would help but probobly wouldn't hurt her to give daily fish oil(not high dose supplemens). I just thought if it's healthy for the general population to get enough DHA/omega 3's then maybe it would be healthy for my daughter with CF's general well-being. also, Maggie swallows capsules like she's an adult so she woudn't have to taste the fish oil.

Rebjane

jfarel
12-20-2006, 10:53 PM
i seem to feel better when I eat fish. I tried one brand of fish oil and I'm thinking of trying the expensive kind. Didn't notice much difference with the cheap pill. Maybe it will work better.

jfarel
i seem to feel better when I eat fish. I tried one brand of fish oil and I'm thinking of trying the expensive kind. Didn't notice much difference with the cheap pill. Maybe it will work better.

jfarel