PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Music-Check out Journey

Aftershock68
10-29-2010, 09:34 PM
I am supposed to be doing homework but instead I'm sitting here listening to Journey. For the younger generation of CFer's, who may not know who Journey is....they are an awesome rock band who started in the 70's and lasted until the 80's. They had a lot of hits and their lead singer, Steve Perry, has one of the greatest voices ever heard! (Not just personal opinion.) Anyway, many people may not know this but Journey wrote a song for Cystic Fibrosis. "Only the Young" wasn't written as a soundtrack for the movie Vision Quest, but actually for a 16 year old boy, Kenny, who had Cystic Fibrosis. He was in the hospital and requested through Make A Wish Foundation to meet Journey. Immediately upon hearing the request, the band flew out to meet Kenny in the hospital bringing him a walkman with their new cassette release in it, and an autographed record. After leaving the hospital room, Steve Perry and Jonathan Cain broke down in tears from seeing how Kenny suffered with CF. Kenny passed away the next day with the walkman still in his hand playing this song. Gives me goose bumps and brings a tear to my eye everytime I hear this song. Please check them out. Only the Young by Journey!~Thanks and hope you are doing well!---CJ 41w/CF

Aftershock68
I am supposed to be doing homework but instead I'm sitting here listening to Journey. For the younger generation of CFer's, who may not know who Journey is....they are an awesome rock band who started in the 70's and lasted until the 80's. They had a lot of hits and their lead singer, Steve Perry, has one of the greatest voices ever heard! (Not just personal opinion.) Anyway, many people may not know this but Journey wrote a song for Cystic Fibrosis. "Only the Young" wasn't written as a soundtrack for the movie Vision Quest, but actually for a 16 year old boy, Kenny, who had Cystic Fibrosis. He was in the hospital and requested through Make A Wish Foundation to meet Journey. Immediately upon hearing the request, the band flew out to meet Kenny in the hospital bringing him a walkman with their new cassette release in it, and an autographed record. After leaving the hospital room, Steve Perry and Jonathan Cain broke down in tears from seeing how Kenny suffered with CF. Kenny passed away the next day with the walkman still in his hand playing this song. Gives me goose bumps and brings a tear to my eye everytime I hear this song. Please check them out. Only the Young by Journey!~Thanks and hope you are doing well!---CJ 41w/CF

Aftershock68

julie
10-30-2010, 03:40 AM
Had no idea that was the history of this song, AWESOME to find out!!!

julie

julie

windex125
10-30-2010, 06:53 PM
I did not follow Journey till I heard their song on the Sopranos's HBO cable show then I went and bought their greatest hits, which I now have on my IPOD as well. I was always more of a Motown girl. But I will look into that song. Bless Make a Wish....

windex125
I did not follow Journey till I heard their song on the Sopranos's HBO cable show then I went and bought their greatest hits, which I now have on my IPOD as well. I was always more of a Motown girl. But I will look into that song. Bless Make a Wish....

windex125