PDA

View Full Version : CF/Sinusitis/TOBI/Nasel Rinse

cowhstone
12-07-2009, 02:40 PM
I am a 31 year old CFer. My biggest struggle with the disease is related to my sinuses. About a year ago I had extensive sinus surgery, but I continue to experience sinusitis, including pressure and pain. I have been working with my ENT on a maintenance routine to keep inflamation and infection under control. Currently, I am rinsing with a saline rinse once a day which includes a mixture of pulmicort and salt. Additionally, I mix TOBI into my rinses using a four week on/ four week off pattern. When I am using the TOBI, I feel great. When I am not using the TOBI, I am at my worse. I feel TOBI is working miracles up there. The ironic part is my insurance won't cover the TOBI because they say the use has no proven scientific benefit.

My question for other CFers...

Do you use TOBI in your rinses?
How often do you use it?
Are you happy with the results?

Also, as I have been researching this subject, I came across a sinus nebulizer, in which you place the nebulizer in the nostril (opposed to the mouth) to make direct contact with the sinus cavity. Any CFers out there using this type of nebulizer? Results???

cowhstone
I am a 31 year old CFer. My biggest struggle with the disease is related to my sinuses. About a year ago I had extensive sinus surgery, but I continue to experience sinusitis, including pressure and pain. I have been working with my ENT on a maintenance routine to keep inflamation and infection under control. Currently, I am rinsing with a saline rinse once a day which includes a mixture of pulmicort and salt. Additionally, I mix TOBI into my rinses using a four week on/ four week off pattern. When I am using the TOBI, I feel great. When I am not using the TOBI, I am at my worse. I feel TOBI is working miracles up there. The ironic part is my insurance won't cover the TOBI because they say the use has no proven scientific benefit.

How often do you use it?

Also, as I have been researching this subject, I came across a sinus nebulizer, in which you place the nebulizer in the nostril (opposed to the mouth) to make direct contact with the sinus cavity. Any CFers out there using this type of nebulizer? Results???

cowhstone

How often do you use it?

cowhstone

How often do you use it?

cowhstone
<br />
<br />My question for other CFers...
<br />
<br />Do you use TOBI in your rinses?
<br />How often do you use it?
<br />Are you happy with the results?
<br />
<br />Also, as I have been researching this subject, I came across a sinus nebulizer, in which you place the nebulizer in the nostril (opposed to the mouth) to make direct contact with the sinus cavity. Any CFers out there using this type of nebulizer? Results???

kmaried
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Colleen,

I use a gentamycin rinse since my sinus surgery (only a few weeks ago). I'm supposed to get off of it in a week, and then see how I do.

Maybe you can alternate with another abx on your month off, like we do inhaled?

Good luck
Kris
27 w/cf

kmaried
Hi Colleen,

I use a gentamycin rinse since my sinus surgery (only a few weeks ago). I'm supposed to get off of it in a week, and then see how I do.

Good luck
Kris
27 w/cf

kmaried
Hi Colleen,

Good luck
Kris
27 w/cf

kmaried
Hi Colleen,

Good luck
Kris
27 w/cf

kmaried
Hi Colleen,
<br />
<br />I use a gentamycin rinse since my sinus surgery (only a few weeks ago). I'm supposed to get off of it in a week, and then see how I do.
<br />
<br />Maybe you can alternate with another abx on your month off, like we do inhaled?
<br />
<br />Good luck
<br />Kris
<br />27 w/cf

sdelorenzo
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
My son is using the Tobi as a spray in the nose after his sinus surgery two weeks ago. He only has a few more days of it.
Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 10 months no cf

sdelorenzo
My son is using the Tobi as a spray in the nose after his sinus surgery two weeks ago. He only has a few more days of it.

sdelorenzo

sdelorenzo

sdelorenzo
<br />Sharon, mom of Sophia, 8 and Jack, 6 both with cf, Grant, 10 months no cf

jdubbs
12-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Hey there Colleen -

I'm curious about the sinus nebulizer as well. Just last week I was asking my ENT if he knew of anything similar to what you're describing. He didn't offhand. I was more thinking in terms of the hypertonic saline, but it would be good for tobi as well. I went to a pharmacy... they had a mask I could probably fashion into something reasonable, but it looked like a nuisance to clean. I didn't bother.

-James

jdubbs
Hey there Colleen -

I'm curious about the sinus nebulizer as well. Just last week I was asking my ENT if he knew of anything similar to what you're describing. He didn't offhand. I was more thinking in terms of the hypertonic saline, but it would be good for tobi as well. I went to a pharmacy... they had a mask I could probably fashion into something reasonable, but it looked like a nuisance to clean. I didn't bother.

-James

jdubbs
Hey there Colleen -

-James

jdubbs
Hey there Colleen -

-James

jdubbs
Hey there Colleen -
<br />
<br />I'm curious about the sinus nebulizer as well. Just last week I was asking my ENT if he knew of anything similar to what you're describing. He didn't offhand. I was more thinking in terms of the hypertonic saline, but it would be good for tobi as well. I went to a pharmacy... they had a mask I could probably fashion into something reasonable, but it looked like a nuisance to clean. I didn't bother.
<br />
<br />-James

tleigh
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Colleen,
I also use Gentamycin rinse as an ongoing maintenance. I get it from a compounding pharmacy and insurance does not cover it. I have seen a nasal nebulizer-Pari makes one w/ a mask for over your nose. I also do sea salt rinses twice a day w/ the groshen attachment on a water pik and have found it to be helpful as well.

tleigh
Colleen,
I also use Gentamycin rinse as an ongoing maintenance. I get it from a compounding pharmacy and insurance does not cover it. I have seen a nasal nebulizer-Pari makes one w/ a mask for over your nose. I also do sea salt rinses twice a day w/ the groshen attachment on a water pik and have found it to be helpful as well.

tleigh
Colleen,

tleigh
Colleen,

tleigh
Colleen,
<br />I also use Gentamycin rinse as an ongoing maintenance. I get it from a compounding pharmacy and insurance does not cover it. I have seen a nasal nebulizer-Pari makes one w/ a mask for over your nose. I also do sea salt rinses twice a day w/ the groshen attachment on a water pik and have found it to be helpful as well.

MiddleAgedLady
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm interested in trying an abx sinus rinse since sinuses are where my problems begin. Sinus infections always turn into a pulmonary exacerbation for me. I big on the NeilMed sinus rinses -- I do that 2-3x per day which helps immensely.

Joan

MiddleAgedLady
I'm interested in trying an abx sinus rinse since sinuses are where my problems begin. Sinus infections always turn into a pulmonary exacerbation for me. I big on the NeilMed sinus rinses -- I do that 2-3x per day which helps immensely.

Joan

MiddleAgedLady

Joan

MiddleAgedLady

Joan

MiddleAgedLady
<br />
<br />Joan

KKAnn621
12-09-2009, 12:18 AM
I have been using antibiotics through my sinus nebulizer for years I actually just got the new sinustar from Pari. They also have a new sinus nebulizer coming out but its not FDA approved that gets the drugs into the paranasal sinuses which would be amazingly helpful to those of us with chronic sinus disease. The neb for the sinuses is just like our reg nebs but has a little piece that goes into the mouth piece and turns it into a nose piece it closes it off and it has to holes on the top that you hold up to your nose. works well and does the job help that helps

KKAnn621
I have been using antibiotics through my sinus nebulizer for years I actually just got the new sinustar from Pari. They also have a new sinus nebulizer coming out but its not FDA approved that gets the drugs into the paranasal sinuses which would be amazingly helpful to those of us with chronic sinus disease. The neb for the sinuses is just like our reg nebs but has a little piece that goes into the mouth piece and turns it into a nose piece it closes it off and it has to holes on the top that you hold up to your nose. works well and does the job help that helps

KKAnn621

KKAnn621

KKAnn621

kmaried
12-09-2009, 12:45 AM
My insurance does cover the gentamycin rinse... I get it at Rite Aid. They compound it. Just FYI.

kmaried
My insurance does cover the gentamycin rinse... I get it at Rite Aid. They compound it. Just FYI.

kmaried

kmaried

kmaried

torilovex089
01-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I have the sinu-star neb with the nose piece. I do Tobramycin and Calistin. (one mo. on, one mo. off) and it seems to be beneficial. I use to just stick my regular Pari star neb up to my nose, but that way, a lot of the antibiotic gets wasted oviously. But now with the actual nose piece the antibiotic seems to go directly to where you need it the most and none goes to waste, which is great! =)Well best of luck to you!
Victoria 20 w/ CF

torilovex089
I have the sinu-star neb with the nose piece. I do Tobramycin and Calistin. (one mo. on, one mo. off) and it seems to be beneficial. I use to just stick my regular Pari star neb up to my nose, but that way, a lot of the antibiotic gets wasted oviously. But now with the actual nose piece the antibiotic seems to go directly to where you need it the most and none goes to waste, which is great! =)Well best of luck to you!
Victoria 20 w/ CF

torilovex089
Victoria 20 w/ CF

torilovex089
Victoria 20 w/ CF

torilovex089
<br />Victoria 20 w/ CF

tesorotiffa
01-27-2010, 10:14 PM
Cowhstone--

How do you mix the Tobi into your rinses? Do you just squeeze a vial of Tobi into it?! I would really like to try and do an antibiotic nose rinse, but for some reason my doc never seems to think it's important... although I've had horrible sinus issues for a year now. Ugh!

tesorotiffa
Cowhstone--

How do you mix the Tobi into your rinses? Do you just squeeze a vial of Tobi into it?! I would really like to try and do an antibiotic nose rinse, but for some reason my doc never seems to think it's important... although I've had horrible sinus issues for a year now. Ugh!

tesorotiffa
Cowhstone--

tesorotiffa
Cowhstone--

tesorotiffa
Cowhstone--
<br />
<br />How do you mix the Tobi into your rinses? Do you just squeeze a vial of Tobi into it?! I would really like to try and do an antibiotic nose rinse, but for some reason my doc never seems to think it's important... although I've had horrible sinus issues for a year now. Ugh!

Daveyboy209
01-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Colleen,
By far my most trouble with CF has been sinus related. I've had 20 surgeries on them to date. I have used Tobi in my rinses before, I use pulmocort also. I have MRSA in my sinus and lungs. I've had many unique procedures done to try and put off the total frontal sinus obliteration. They told me 2 weeks ago I need to have it. It is time. It isn't time for me however. I am not comforted by the things I've read regarding that surgery. Instead, I will continue to see my ENT on a weekly basis to get cleaned out. The sinus rinses only do so much but what they do accomplish I am grateful for. All I can say is keep at it. Know that the work needed is worth it. Talk to your clinic and see if you can get the help with any of the insurance issues.
Dave, 48 with CF, MRSA

Daveyboy209
Colleen,
By far my most trouble with CF has been sinus related. I've had 20 surgeries on them to date. I have used Tobi in my rinses before, I use pulmocort also. I have MRSA in my sinus and lungs. I've had many unique procedures done to try and put off the total frontal sinus obliteration. They told me 2 weeks ago I need to have it. It is time. It isn't time for me however. I am not comforted by the things I've read regarding that surgery. Instead, I will continue to see my ENT on a weekly basis to get cleaned out. The sinus rinses only do so much but what they do accomplish I am grateful for. All I can say is keep at it. Know that the work needed is worth it. Talk to your clinic and see if you can get the help with any of the insurance issues.
Dave, 48 with CF, MRSA

Daveyboy209
Colleen,
Dave, 48 with CF, MRSA

Daveyboy209
Colleen,
Dave, 48 with CF, MRSA

Daveyboy209
Colleen,
<br />By far my most trouble with CF has been sinus related. I've had 20 surgeries on them to date. I have used Tobi in my rinses before, I use pulmocort also. I have MRSA in my sinus and lungs. I've had many unique procedures done to try and put off the total frontal sinus obliteration. They told me 2 weeks ago I need to have it. It is time. It isn't time for me however. I am not comforted by the things I've read regarding that surgery. Instead, I will continue to see my ENT on a weekly basis to get cleaned out. The sinus rinses only do so much but what they do accomplish I am grateful for. All I can say is keep at it. Know that the work needed is worth it. Talk to your clinic and see if you can get the help with any of the insurance issues.
<br />Dave, 48 with CF, MRSA

jtbyers45
01-28-2010, 03:26 AM
Hi Dave,

I had the right frontal obliteration 2 years ago. I still get sinus infections all the time. The only differences it really made are that I don't get pain on my forhead (just in the cheek area now) and I don't get fevers as often. I probably would still have gone through it knowing what I do now because I was pretty miserable.

jtbyers45
Hi Dave,

I had the right frontal obliteration 2 years ago. I still get sinus infections all the time. The only differences it really made are that I don't get pain on my forhead (just in the cheek area now) and I don't get fevers as often. I probably would still have gone through it knowing what I do now because I was pretty miserable.

jtbyers45
Hi Dave,

jtbyers45
Hi Dave,

jtbyers45
Hi Dave,
<br />
<br />I had the right frontal obliteration 2 years ago. I still get sinus infections all the time. The only differences it really made are that I don't get pain on my forhead (just in the cheek area now) and I don't get fevers as often. I probably would still have gone through it knowing what I do now because I was pretty miserable.