PDA

View Full Version : IVs necessary before sinus surgery?

mneville
11-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Aidan, aged 5, is going to have his 4th FESS sinus surgery to remove polyps and drain infection. He is colonized with MRSA (and yes, stays in his room!)In the past his CF doc has always required IVs before/ after surgery to clear infection and make the surgery easier and more effective. At this age, Aidan is freaking about another PICC line so our doctor agreed to try orals before/after the surgery. Clindamycin if his MRSA is sensitive to it. Do you think orals will work as well? Do your docs insist on IVs before? We've done IV Vanco before but the MRSA did not go anywhere.

Megan

mneville
Aidan, aged 5, is going to have his 4th FESS sinus surgery to remove polyps and drain infection. He is colonized with MRSA (and yes, stays in his room!)In the past his CF doc has always required IVs before/ after surgery to clear infection and make the surgery easier and more effective. At this age, Aidan is freaking about another PICC line so our doctor agreed to try orals before/after the surgery. Clindamycin if his MRSA is sensitive to it. Do you think orals will work as well? Do your docs insist on IVs before? We've done IV Vanco before but the MRSA did not go anywhere.

Megan

mneville

Megan

mneville

Megan

mneville
<br />
<br />Megan

kmaried
11-16-2009, 12:53 AM
Hey Megan,

My Dr insisted upon IVs. Does he only have MRSA or PA, too? Basically, they do IVs so that you're in as good shape going into the surgery as possible, but also b/c the surgery itself is a 'bacteria shower' for your lungs. As they do the surgery, it's all draining into your lungs & stomach. Then, after surgery, they want to try to prevent infection from beginning again in your sinuses as they are trying to heal. If he only has MRSA and is as sensitive to an oral abx as an IV abx, then I'd think maybe that'd be ok. If he's significantly more sensitive to IVs, then I might try convincing Aidan otherwise.

I can totally understand him freaking out though. That stinks for him... sinus surgery and IVs are no fun for a 5 year old!!

Good luck,
Kris
27 w/ CF

kmaried
Hey Megan,

My Dr insisted upon IVs. Does he only have MRSA or PA, too? Basically, they do IVs so that you're in as good shape going into the surgery as possible, but also b/c the surgery itself is a 'bacteria shower' for your lungs. As they do the surgery, it's all draining into your lungs & stomach. Then, after surgery, they want to try to prevent infection from beginning again in your sinuses as they are trying to heal. If he only has MRSA and is as sensitive to an oral abx as an IV abx, then I'd think maybe that'd be ok. If he's significantly more sensitive to IVs, then I might try convincing Aidan otherwise.

I can totally understand him freaking out though. That stinks for him... sinus surgery and IVs are no fun for a 5 year old!!

Good luck,
Kris
27 w/ CF

kmaried
Hey Megan,

Good luck,
Kris
27 w/ CF

kmaried
Hey Megan,

Good luck,
Kris
27 w/ CF

kmaried
Hey Megan,
<br />
<br />My Dr insisted upon IVs. Does he only have MRSA or PA, too? Basically, they do IVs so that you're in as good shape going into the surgery as possible, but also b/c the surgery itself is a 'bacteria shower' for your lungs. As they do the surgery, it's all draining into your lungs & stomach. Then, after surgery, they want to try to prevent infection from beginning again in your sinuses as they are trying to heal. If he only has MRSA and is as sensitive to an oral abx as an IV abx, then I'd think maybe that'd be ok. If he's significantly more sensitive to IVs, then I might try convincing Aidan otherwise.
<br />
<br />I can totally understand him freaking out though. That stinks for him... sinus surgery and IVs are no fun for a 5 year old!!
<br />
<br />Good luck,
<br />Kris
<br />27 w/ CF

mneville
11-16-2009, 01:31 AM
Thanks so much for the input. I know IVs are probably the best but his doctor said the oral drugs he would use also absorb well into the bloodstream. Unfortunately his surgeries only last a year. He has needed them once a year which really stinks.

mneville
Thanks so much for the input. I know IVs are probably the best but his doctor said the oral drugs he would use also absorb well into the bloodstream. Unfortunately his surgeries only last a year. He has needed them once a year which really stinks.

mneville

mneville

mneville

nu65
11-16-2009, 02:50 AM
I definetly would recommend IV antibiotics. I've had 5 sinus surgeries and had the IVs pre-surgery and have always been well (for the most part, afterwards!) PICCs are frustrating, and I'm sorry that has to happen. Also, my pulmonologist told me that Clindamycin wouldn't work well for me because its too broad-spectrum. Meaning, it wouldn't be strong enough to impact an infection should I have one. I would also keep in mind that MRSA is VERY difficult to get rid of once you have it. The antibx aren't necessarily to get rid of it, but keep it at bay so that it doesn't flare up after surgery. Hope that helps!

nu65
I definetly would recommend IV antibiotics. I've had 5 sinus surgeries and had the IVs pre-surgery and have always been well (for the most part, afterwards!) PICCs are frustrating, and I'm sorry that has to happen. Also, my pulmonologist told me that Clindamycin wouldn't work well for me because its too broad-spectrum. Meaning, it wouldn't be strong enough to impact an infection should I have one. I would also keep in mind that MRSA is VERY difficult to get rid of once you have it. The antibx aren't necessarily to get rid of it, but keep it at bay so that it doesn't flare up after surgery. Hope that helps!

nu65

nu65

nu65

mneville
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Have IV antibiotics been able to get rid of your MRSA? We thought we had a good chance to eradicate it b/c we did a comprehensive treatment plan at the first culture. But a year later, it still shows up on just about every gag culture and bronch. He had major sinus problems before MRSA as well. Maybe I should talk to his doctor again. I really talked him out of IVs but if it better in the long run? Do you think there is a problem using IVs so often though? His sinus problems do not seem to get better despite everything we do. Every time I get nervous about the use of IVs though, I think how in Sweden they do them routinely 4x a year and live the longest. Ughh, too many decisions! Thanks for your insight!

Megan, mom to Aidan 4 with CF and Gavin 2 no CF

mneville
Have IV antibiotics been able to get rid of your MRSA? We thought we had a good chance to eradicate it b/c we did a comprehensive treatment plan at the first culture. But a year later, it still shows up on just about every gag culture and bronch. He had major sinus problems before MRSA as well. Maybe I should talk to his doctor again. I really talked him out of IVs but if it better in the long run? Do you think there is a problem using IVs so often though? His sinus problems do not seem to get better despite everything we do. Every time I get nervous about the use of IVs though, I think how in Sweden they do them routinely 4x a year and live the longest. Ughh, too many decisions! Thanks for your insight!

mneville

mneville

mneville
<br />
<br />Megan, mom to Aidan 4 with CF and Gavin 2 no CF

AndyB
11-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Wow, best of luck to you and to Aidan. My 7-year-old niece had a ct scan last week and they are weighing her options. In her case it looks like a (supposed to be less invasive) treatment called 'balloon sinuplasty'.

Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

AndyB
Wow, best of luck to you and to Aidan. My 7-year-old niece had a ct scan last week and they are weighing her options. In her case it looks like a (supposed to be less invasive) treatment called 'balloon sinuplasty'.

Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

AndyB

AndyB

AndyB
<br />
<br />Anyway sorry can't really weigh in on the IV question but thought I'd share anyway. Have a great day.

Havoc
11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I think oral abx would suffice. They can always given him IV abx during his procedure when he's going to have to have a peripheral line anyway.

Havoc
I think oral abx would suffice. They can always given him IV abx during his procedure when he's going to have to have a peripheral line anyway.

Havoc

Havoc

Havoc

ReneeP
11-18-2009, 04:12 PM
My daughter has had 6 sinus surgeries and has never had IV antibiotics at all (not pre-surgery or any other time). She doesn't culture anything other than staph so that might make a big difference... not sure... but I thought I'd answer your question that it isn't always necessary. I would think it would depend on whether there is an active infection but again, I don't know that for sure... Good luck!!! Sorry your are having to go through this (you and Aidan). Take Care!

ReneeP
My daughter has had 6 sinus surgeries and has never had IV antibiotics at all (not pre-surgery or any other time). She doesn't culture anything other than staph so that might make a big difference... not sure... but I thought I'd answer your question that it isn't always necessary. I would think it would depend on whether there is an active infection but again, I don't know that for sure... Good luck!!! Sorry your are having to go through this (you and Aidan). Take Care!

ReneeP

ReneeP

ReneeP

mneville
11-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses! We are skipping the IVs and are trying Clyndamycin for MRSA for two weeks before/after surgery. So we'll see how this goes...

mneville
Thanks for the responses! We are skipping the IVs and are trying Clyndamycin for MRSA for two weeks before/after surgery. So we'll see how this goes...

mneville

mneville

mneville