PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu Jab

hwilson19
10-22-2009, 04:51 PM
As you may already know theres is a jab for the H1N1 Swine flu, its being released here atm in the UK, just am a little wary of having it but I know that I should, better to be safe than sorry, its just I dont feel they have enough evidence yet and surely my seasonal flu jab would cover me just the same? I've got clinic on tuesday, will discuss with the Docs but was wondering what other people thought about it?

Thanks
Hannah 18 w/cf

hwilson19
As you may already know theres is a jab for the H1N1 Swine flu, its being released here atm in the UK, just am a little wary of having it but I know that I should, better to be safe than sorry, its just I dont feel they have enough evidence yet and surely my seasonal flu jab would cover me just the same? I've got clinic on tuesday, will discuss with the Docs but was wondering what other people thought about it?

Thanks
Hannah 18 w/cf

hwilson19

Thanks
Hannah 18 w/cf

hwilson19

Thanks
Hannah 18 w/cf

hwilson19
<br />
<br />Thanks
<br />Hannah 18 w/cf

Ratatosk
10-22-2009, 05:31 PM
We're hoping to get the vaccine. We're more concerned with our child contracting the H1N1 Virus. DH had it a couple weeks ago and indicated it was pretty brutal.

Ratatosk
We're hoping to get the vaccine. We're more concerned with our child contracting the H1N1 Virus. DH had it a couple weeks ago and indicated it was pretty brutal.

Ratatosk

Ratatosk

Ratatosk

JazzysMom
10-22-2009, 05:38 PM
This might help you decide

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html">http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html</a>

JazzysMom

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html">http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html</a>

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

JazzysMom
<br />
<br />
<br /><a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html">http://www.flu.gov/news/blogs/youngpeople.html</a>

KrazyKat
10-22-2009, 07:47 PM
No the normal flu jab will not offer you any protection from HIN1, it it did, they wouldn't have needed to created the HIN1 specific vaccine. I think it's pretty simple, if you would normally get the annual flu jab, you should probably also get the HIN1 vaccine. It won't differ hugely from other flu vaccines i imagine, so i'm not sure what all the panic and hysteria is about.

KrazyKat
No the normal flu jab will not offer you any protection from HIN1, it it did, they wouldn't have needed to created the HIN1 specific vaccine. I think it's pretty simple, if you would normally get the annual flu jab, you should probably also get the HIN1 vaccine. It won't differ hugely from other flu vaccines i imagine, so i'm not sure what all the panic and hysteria is about.

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

KrazyKat

MMBinNC
10-23-2009, 02:30 AM
Supposedly it might...but I know some people (sans CF) who got the FluMist for H1N1 and are fine. The Gullien Barre thing is no doubt going to be very rare and hopefully there are little t no unforeseen side effects with the inactivated virus (shot).

MMBinNC
Supposedly it might...but I know some people (sans CF) who got the FluMist for H1N1 and are fine. The Gullien Barre thing is no doubt going to be very rare and hopefully there are little t no unforeseen side effects with the inactivated virus (shot).

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

MMBinNC

bkc3
10-23-2009, 03:17 AM
our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?

bkc3
our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?

bkc3

bkc3

bkc3

JazzysMom
10-23-2009, 10:40 AM
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>bkc3</b></i>

our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?</end quote></div>

This makes no sense to me since the mist for the seasonal flu isnt recommended.......

IMHO I wouldnt do the mist for either!

JazzysMom

our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?</end quote></div>

This makes no sense to me since the mist for the seasonal flu isnt recommended.......

JazzysMom

JazzysMom

our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?</end quote>

JazzysMom
<br />
<br />our cf doc recommended the h1n1 mist for our little one as soon as it's available. has anyone gotten a different recommendation?</end quote>
<br />
<br />This makes no sense to me since the mist for the seasonal flu isnt recommended.......
<br />
<br />IMHO I wouldnt do the mist for either!

hmw
10-23-2009, 11:27 AM
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/flumist_pi.pdf">Prescribing information for FluMist; warnings and precautions</a> It states there:
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><b>5.2 Asthma/Recurrent Wheezing</b>
FluMist should not be administered to any individuals with asthma or children &lt;5 years of age with
recurrent wheezing because of the potential for increased risk of wheezing post vaccination <i>unless the
potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i>
Do not administer FluMist to individuals with severe asthma or active wheezing because these
individuals have not been studied in clinical trials.

<b>5.5 Medical Conditions Predisposing to Influenza Complications</b>
The safety of FluMist in individuals with underlying medical conditions that may predispose them to
complications following wild-type influenza infection has not been established. FluMist should not be
administered <i>unless the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i></end quote></div> Because of this, it's been the experience here with everything I've read that FluMist (for either seasonal or h1n1 flu) is NOT given to those with CF.

Is h1n1 already rampant in your area and the mist the only vaccine that will be available for quite some time? If so, assuming the dr has some kind of reasoning for his recommendation- based on how that is worded he may feel that it's better to take this chance and treat the wheezing if it happens in the interests of protecting your child from the potentially more serious complications of the flu. I'd want to check again with him be very, very sure that he meant the mist though, vs. the shot/getting vaccinated in general.

hmw
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.medimmune.com/pdf/products/flumist_pi.pdf">Prescribing information for FluMist; warnings and precautions</a> It states there:
FluMist should not be administered to any individuals with asthma or children &lt;5 years of age with
recurrent wheezing because of the potential for increased risk of wheezing post vaccination <i>unless the
Do not administer FluMist to individuals with severe asthma or active wheezing because these

The safety of FluMist in individuals with underlying medical conditions that may predispose them to
complications following wild-type influenza infection has not been established. FluMist should not be
administered <i>unless the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i></end quote></div> Because of this, it's been the experience here with everything I've read that FluMist (for either seasonal or h1n1 flu) is NOT given to those with CF.

Is h1n1 already rampant in your area and the mist the only vaccine that will be available for quite some time? If so, assuming the dr has some kind of reasoning for his recommendation- based on how that is worded he may feel that it's better to take this chance and treat the wheezing if it happens in the interests of protecting your child from the potentially more serious complications of the flu. I'd want to check again with him be very, very sure that he meant the mist though, vs. the shot/getting vaccinated in general.

hmw

hmw

administered <i>unless the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i></end quote> Because of this, it's been the experience here with everything I've read that FluMist (for either seasonal or h1n1 flu) is NOT given to those with CF.

hmw
<br /><div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><b>5.2 Asthma/Recurrent Wheezing</b>
<br />FluMist should not be administered to any individuals with asthma or children &lt;5 years of age with
<br />recurrent wheezing because of the potential for increased risk of wheezing post vaccination <i>unless the
<br />potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i>
<br />Do not administer FluMist to individuals with severe asthma or active wheezing because these
<br />individuals have not been studied in clinical trials.
<br />
<br /><b>5.5 Medical Conditions Predisposing to Influenza Complications</b>
<br />The safety of FluMist in individuals with underlying medical conditions that may predispose them to
<br />complications following wild-type influenza infection has not been established. FluMist should not be
<br />administered <i>unless the potential benefit outweighs the potential risk.</i></end quote> Because of this, it's been the experience here with everything I've read that FluMist (for either seasonal or h1n1 flu) is NOT given to those with CF.
<br />
<br />Is h1n1 already rampant in your area and the mist the only vaccine that will be available for quite some time? If so, assuming the dr has some kind of reasoning for his recommendation- based on how that is worded he may feel that it's better to take this chance and treat the wheezing if it happens in the interests of protecting your child from the potentially more serious complications of the flu. I'd want to check again with him be very, very sure that he meant the mist though, vs. the shot/getting vaccinated in general.

Jeana
I thought that I had read that the nasal mist was not advised for the little ones and people with respiratory conditions because it is live...

Jeana
I thought that I had read that the nasal mist was not advised for the little ones and people with respiratory conditions because it is live...

Jeana

Jeana

Jeana

hmw
10-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Some drs don't like it because of that; but the 'official' contraindication is the wheezing thing. The live virus in this has been altered so that it's not capable of causing the full-blown flu (i.e. when people say "I got the flu shot and then I had the flu") ...although it is more likely to cause side effects than the shot, including mild flu-like symptoms in the immediate days following.

hmw
Some drs don't like it because of that; but the 'official' contraindication is the wheezing thing. The live virus in this has been altered so that it's not capable of causing the full-blown flu (i.e. when people say "I got the flu shot and then I had the flu") ...although it is more likely to cause side effects than the shot, including mild flu-like symptoms in the immediate days following.

hmw

hmw

hmw

cfpatience
10-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Our clinic dr says NOT to get the mist. Says CF people should only get the shot.

cfpatience
Our clinic dr says NOT to get the mist. Says CF people should only get the shot.

cfpatience

cfpatience

cfpatience

bkc3
10-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Are parents of little ones with CF getting the mist and waiting on the shots for the little ones?

bkc3
Are parents of little ones with CF getting the mist and waiting on the shots for the little ones?

bkc3

bkc3

bkc3

hmw
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
When it comes to parents; in my state I think only parents of babies too young to get the shot are getting vaccinated right now. There is too little supply for any other adults unless you are a healthcare provider or in a high-risk category yourself. The mist became available at our ped's office 2 weeks ago; the shot finally came to Emily's CF clinic and she got it today.

hmw
When it comes to parents; in my state I think only parents of babies too young to get the shot are getting vaccinated right now. There is too little supply for any other adults unless you are a healthcare provider or in a high-risk category yourself. The mist became available at our ped's office 2 weeks ago; the shot finally came to Emily's CF clinic and she got it today.

hmw

hmw

hmw

bkc3
10-25-2009, 03:41 AM
our son had to get 2 seasonal flu shots this year, he got his 2nd today and his 1st one month ago. He will have to wait 1 month to get the h1n1 vaccine (even if it was available) from the info we have now.

bkc3
our son had to get 2 seasonal flu shots this year, he got his 2nd today and his 1st one month ago. He will have to wait 1 month to get the h1n1 vaccine (even if it was available) from the info we have now.

bkc3

bkc3

bkc3