PDA

View Full Version : I know there are alot of these but....is this CF

MegMe1987
09-22-2009, 03:29 AM
I am wondering if I might have CF. I have had a cough for the last 3 years. 1 year ago I was diagnosed with cough variant asthma. I am not a classic asthmatic though. I NEVER wheeze. Only twice have wheezes been heard. The two times I was in the ER for exacerbations (6 months ago and yesterday). My PFT's are generally AMAZING (best was 124% worst was 82% yesterday) but I am a singer so I have been trained in how to breath. Yesterday my doc was like I want you to try this exercise (putting a book on the stomach lying on the floor and breathing against it) my response, "I've been doing that for 3 years now". Also, with asthma there is generally a drop on the PFT's that my doc has never seen.

He says he doesn't think I exactly have asthma but can't put his finger on what I do have, he says that he feels like he is missing something. I asked him about this he says he doesn't think so but that we could do a sweat test at my next visit (within the next month).

Symptoms I have consist of: Persistent coughing productive with mucus. Sometimes the mucus is really thick and sticky, sometimes it gets stuck in the back of my throat till I pull it out if I can reach it or vomit it up, sometimes I cough up what looks like little pellets of mucus. I also have stomach problems. I vomit a lot though I am not sick. I fart and burp a lot about 2-3 hours after I eat. I have occasional constipation and then other times sticky poops (not normal but not diarrhea). I also have GERD. What do you guys think am I nuts for thinking I have it?

MegMe1987
I am wondering if I might have CF. I have had a cough for the last 3 years. 1 year ago I was diagnosed with cough variant asthma. I am not a classic asthmatic though. I NEVER wheeze. Only twice have wheezes been heard. The two times I was in the ER for exacerbations (6 months ago and yesterday). My PFT's are generally AMAZING (best was 124% worst was 82% yesterday) but I am a singer so I have been trained in how to breath. Yesterday my doc was like I want you to try this exercise (putting a book on the stomach lying on the floor and breathing against it) my response, "I've been doing that for 3 years now". Also, with asthma there is generally a drop on the PFT's that my doc has never seen.

He says he doesn't think I exactly have asthma but can't put his finger on what I do have, he says that he feels like he is missing something. I asked him about this he says he doesn't think so but that we could do a sweat test at my next visit (within the next month).

Symptoms I have consist of: Persistent coughing productive with mucus. Sometimes the mucus is really thick and sticky, sometimes it gets stuck in the back of my throat till I pull it out if I can reach it or vomit it up, sometimes I cough up what looks like little pellets of mucus. I also have stomach problems. I vomit a lot though I am not sick. I fart and burp a lot about 2-3 hours after I eat. I have occasional constipation and then other times sticky poops (not normal but not diarrhea). I also have GERD. What do you guys think am I nuts for thinking I have it?

MegMe1987

MegMe1987

MegMe1987
<br />
<br />He says he doesn't think I exactly have asthma but can't put his finger on what I do have, he says that he feels like he is missing something. I asked him about this he says he doesn't think so but that we could do a sweat test at my next visit (within the next month).
<br />
<br />Symptoms I have consist of: Persistent coughing productive with mucus. Sometimes the mucus is really thick and sticky, sometimes it gets stuck in the back of my throat till I pull it out if I can reach it or vomit it up, sometimes I cough up what looks like little pellets of mucus. I also have stomach problems. I vomit a lot though I am not sick. I fart and burp a lot about 2-3 hours after I eat. I have occasional constipation and then other times sticky poops (not normal but not diarrhea). I also have GERD. What do you guys think am I nuts for thinking I have it?
<br />

robert321
09-23-2009, 03:55 AM
Diagnosing someone with something as serious as cystic fibrosis really can't be done with just a short description of symptoms.
I would wait for the results of the sweat test and see where that takes you.
These symptoms are consitant with cystic fibrosis, but again, this is something that we can't give you a definate yes or no.
There are a few members here that were not diagnosed until well into adulthood, so people are diagnosed later in life rather than the typical diagnosis at birth. I would say that it is a possibility that you could have cystic fibrosis, but without testing, there can't be a definate diagnosis made

robert321
Diagnosing someone with something as serious as cystic fibrosis really can't be done with just a short description of symptoms.
These symptoms are consitant with cystic fibrosis, but again, this is something that we can't give you a definate yes or no.
There are a few members here that were not diagnosed until well into adulthood, so people are diagnosed later in life rather than the typical diagnosis at birth. I would say that it is a possibility that you could have cystic fibrosis, but without testing, there can't be a definate diagnosis made

robert321

robert321

robert321
<br />I would wait for the results of the sweat test and see where that takes you.
<br />These symptoms are consitant with cystic fibrosis, but again, this is something that we can't give you a definate yes or no.
<br />There are a few members here that were not diagnosed until well into adulthood, so people are diagnosed later in life rather than the typical diagnosis at birth. I would say that it is a possibility that you could have cystic fibrosis, but without testing, there can't be a definate diagnosis made

hopesiris
09-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Some people with CF also have asthma. Genetic testing through Ambry genetics (the full panel) is the only way to be sure you don't have CF.

hopesiris
Some people with CF also have asthma. Genetic testing through Ambry genetics (the full panel) is the only way to be sure you don't have CF.

hopesiris

hopesiris

hopesiris