PDA

View Full Version : Spiriva

CFHockeyMom
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Anybody here on Spiriva? Sean's getting ready to start a study and I've heard good things about improvement in PFT's.

CFHockeyMom
Anybody here on Spiriva? Sean's getting ready to start a study and I've heard good things about improvement in PFT's.

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

CFHockeyMom

Brad
04-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I used it about two years ago for a year, IT did help.

I had to stop because I lost my Insurance. I am starting it again.
I just got the script fill today ad will start today..

As I remember , it takes a few weeks to feel any difference and
about 6 weeks before you will see an change in FEV1. That was
my experience when I used it before.

Good Luck, I hope it works as well for Your Son as it
did for me.

Brad

did for me.

Brad

did for me.

Brad

did for me.

Brad
<br />
<br /> I had to stop because I lost my Insurance. I am starting it again.
<br /> I just got the script fill today ad will start today..
<br />
<br /> As I remember , it takes a few weeks to feel any difference and
<br /> about 6 weeks before you will see an change in FEV1. That was
<br /> my experience when I used it before.
<br />
<br /> Good Luck, I hope it works as well for Your Son as it
<br /> did for me.

Nightwriter
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
Yes. It is one of the drugs in my arsenal. All I know is when I ran out of it, I got sick. So I make sure I always take it.

Nightwriter
Yes. It is one of the drugs in my arsenal. All I know is when I ran out of it, I got sick. So I make sure I always take it.

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

Nightwriter

lmattaway
04-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I'm no longer on it, but I participated in some of the initial studies of it and did just fine.

lmattaway
I'm no longer on it, but I participated in some of the initial studies of it and did just fine.

lmattaway

lmattaway

lmattaway

Landy
04-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I've heard of this...is it similar to Advair?

Landy

Landy

Landy

Landy

Nightwriter
05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Hi Landy,

Although I have been taking Spiriva for many years, my guess is that before it is officially recommended as a so-called CF drug, it must go through studies. Since there is frequently an asthma component to CF (in this case it works on the broncho-constriction part of asthma) as well as inflammation of the airways, you can see why they are finally doing studies on CF patients.

Spiriva works differently to Advair. Advair is a long-lasting bronchodilator and a steroid. Spiriva is not a steroid. But I do I take Asmanex, an inhaled steroid also.

The literature states SPIRIVA HandiHaler (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder) is indicated for the long-term, once-daily, maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Bronchospasms appear as the feature of asthma, chronic bronchitis, anaphylaxis, as a possible side-effect of the various drugs.
Bronchospasm or a bronchial spasm is a sudden constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles. It is caused by the release (degranulation) of substances from mast cells or basophils under the influence of anaphylatoxins. It causes difficulty in breathing which can be very mild to severe. Spiriva works by opening narrowed airways.

The over-activity of the bronchioles' muscle is a result of exposure to a stimulus (eg. Asthma triggers) that under normal circumstances would cause little or no response. The resulting constriction and inflammation causes a narrowing of the airways and an increase in mucus production; this reduces the amount of oxygen that is available to the individual causing breathlessness, coughing and hypoxia.

If you think this might be right for you, you can mention to your doctor that this is being studied in CF patients, that many CF patients are on it, or you can wait until the results of the study come out.

Nightwriter
Hi Landy,

Although I have been taking Spiriva for many years, my guess is that before it is officially recommended as a so-called CF drug, it must go through studies. Since there is frequently an asthma component to CF (in this case it works on the broncho-constriction part of asthma) as well as inflammation of the airways, you can see why they are finally doing studies on CF patients.

Spiriva works differently to Advair. Advair is a long-lasting bronchodilator and a steroid. Spiriva is not a steroid. But I do I take Asmanex, an inhaled steroid also.

The literature states SPIRIVA HandiHaler (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder) is indicated for the long-term, once-daily, maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.

Bronchospasms appear as the feature of asthma, chronic bronchitis, anaphylaxis, as a possible side-effect of the various drugs.
Bronchospasm or a bronchial spasm is a sudden constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles. It is caused by the release (degranulation) of substances from mast cells or basophils under the influence of anaphylatoxins. It causes difficulty in breathing which can be very mild to severe. Spiriva works by opening narrowed airways.

The over-activity of the bronchioles' muscle is a result of exposure to a stimulus (eg. Asthma triggers) that under normal circumstances would cause little or no response. The resulting constriction and inflammation causes a narrowing of the airways and an increase in mucus production; this reduces the amount of oxygen that is available to the individual causing breathlessness, coughing and hypoxia.

If you think this might be right for you, you can mention to your doctor that this is being studied in CF patients, that many CF patients are on it, or you can wait until the results of the study come out.

Nightwriter
Hi Landy,

Nightwriter
Hi Landy,

Nightwriter
Hi Landy,
<br />
<br />Although I have been taking Spiriva for many years, my guess is that before it is officially recommended as a so-called CF drug, it must go through studies. Since there is frequently an asthma component to CF (in this case it works on the broncho-constriction part of asthma) as well as inflammation of the airways, you can see why they are finally doing studies on CF patients.
<br />
<br />Spiriva works differently to Advair. Advair is a long-lasting bronchodilator and a steroid. Spiriva is not a steroid. But I do I take Asmanex, an inhaled steroid also.
<br />
<br />The literature states SPIRIVA HandiHaler (tiotropium bromide inhalation powder) is indicated for the long-term, once-daily, maintenance treatment of bronchospasm associated with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), including chronic bronchitis and emphysema.
<br />
<br />Bronchospasms appear as the feature of asthma, chronic bronchitis, anaphylaxis, as a possible side-effect of the various drugs.
<br />.
<br />Bronchospasm or a bronchial spasm is a sudden constriction of the muscles in the walls of the bronchioles. It is caused by the release (degranulation) of substances from mast cells or basophils under the influence of anaphylatoxins. It causes difficulty in breathing which can be very mild to severe. Spiriva works by opening narrowed airways.
<br />
<br />The over-activity of the bronchioles' muscle is a result of exposure to a stimulus (eg. Asthma triggers) that under normal circumstances would cause little or no response. The resulting constriction and inflammation causes a narrowing of the airways and an increase in mucus production; this reduces the amount of oxygen that is available to the individual causing breathlessness, coughing and hypoxia.
<br />
<br />If you think this might be right for you, you can mention to your doctor that this is being studied in CF patients, that many CF patients are on it, or you can wait until the results of the study come out.
<br />

dasjsmum
05-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi there

forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks

dasjsmum
Hi there

dasjsmum
Hi there

dasjsmum
Hi there

dasjsmum
Hi there
<br />
<br />forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks

JazzysMom
05-01-2009, 10:56 AM
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote><i>Originally posted by: <b>dasjsmum</b></i>

Hi there

forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks</end quote></div>

Its a non steroid inhalation powder (inhaled similiar to the advair disc) usually taken once daily (suppose to last for 24 hours) & frequently is prescribed for those with COPD.

JazzysMom

Hi there

forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks</end quote></div>

Its a non steroid inhalation powder (inhaled similiar to the advair disc) usually taken once daily (suppose to last for 24 hours) & frequently is prescribed for those with COPD.

JazzysMom

Hi there

JazzysMom

Hi there

forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks</end quote>

JazzysMom
<br />
<br />Hi there
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />forgive my ignorance, but what is Spiriva? I've never heard of it. Thanks</end quote>
<br />
<br />
<br />Its a non steroid inhalation powder (inhaled similiar to the advair disc) usually taken once daily (suppose to last for 24 hours) & frequently is prescribed for those with COPD.
<br />

dasjsmum
05-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks melissa

dasjsmum
Thanks melissa

dasjsmum
Thanks melissa

dasjsmum
Thanks melissa

dasjsmum
Thanks melissa

Brad
05-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Advair is a steroid ,Spiriva is a non steroid ,, I take both..

Brad

Brad

Brad

Brad

fahrjr
05-05-2009, 03:13 PM
I just started on it a few weeks ago,I'm in the middle of IV treatments, so not really sure if it has had any impact or not. My FEV is at 39% before the IV's so we will see.

fahrjr
I just started on it a few weeks ago,I'm in the middle of IV treatments, so not really sure if it has had any impact or not. My FEV is at 39% before the IV's so we will see.

fahrjr

fahrjr

fahrjr

Capi
05-07-2009, 03:42 PM
I used to take Adviar and one day for no apparent reason I had a really bad reaction to it. I thought I was done for the count. My entire body went numb. I could not move but could see everything around me. I fell of the chair I was sitting on and could not move anything at all. My wife was freaking out calling 911.

After about 5 minutes I started to regain motion in my fingers and then slowly the rest of my body.

Paramedics did a bunch of test and said I was ok but should go in to get checked out.

My doctor told me I had a reaction to the Adviar and although its rare it does happen to people.

He switched me to Spiriva and been on it for about a year now. To me it works better than Adviar but then again my body likes to crap out on Adviar.

Capi
I used to take Adviar and one day for no apparent reason I had a really bad reaction to it. I thought I was done for the count. My entire body went numb. I could not move but could see everything around me. I fell of the chair I was sitting on and could not move anything at all. My wife was freaking out calling 911.

After about 5 minutes I started to regain motion in my fingers and then slowly the rest of my body.

Paramedics did a bunch of test and said I was ok but should go in to get checked out.

My doctor told me I had a reaction to the Adviar and although its rare it does happen to people.

He switched me to Spiriva and been on it for about a year now. To me it works better than Adviar but then again my body likes to crap out on Adviar.

Capi

Capi

Capi
<br />
<br />After about 5 minutes I started to regain motion in my fingers and then slowly the rest of my body.
<br />
<br />Paramedics did a bunch of test and said I was ok but should go in to get checked out.
<br />
<br />My doctor told me I had a reaction to the Adviar and although its rare it does happen to people.
<br />
<br />He switched me to Spiriva and been on it for about a year now. To me it works better than Adviar but then again my body likes to crap out on Adviar.