PDA

View Full Version : Gtube

musclemania70
04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Anyone have the gtube and find that it has significantly improved their overall health? Or just simply gained weight and ate less without any other benefits?
I'd like to get a girl's point of view also and how they thought it changed their self image and self confidence.
Thanks!

musclemania70
Anyone have the gtube and find that it has significantly improved their overall health? Or just simply gained weight and ate less without any other benefits?
I'd like to get a girl's point of view also and how they thought it changed their self image and self confidence.
Thanks!

musclemania70
Thanks!

musclemania70
Thanks!

musclemania70
<br />I'd like to get a girl's point of view also and how they thought it changed their self image and self confidence.
<br />Thanks!
<br />

soderick
04-27-2009, 06:34 PM
I had a g-tube placed last August after nearly a year of culturing a new, resistant fungus. I gained almost 15 pounds since then. Because of the weight gain (in mine own opinion as well as my doctor's), my lung function is at a 2-year high, I have more energy, and it has been 14 months since my last hospitalization or IV antibiotics.

That said, I definitely look heavier. I am used to being very thin, and I now have a roll of fat on my stomach and thighs. My boyfriend is very supportive about everything, and he claims he likes me better this way, so that helps. Even though I can sometimes obsess in the mirror, if I look around me in public, I'm still quite thin compared to the average. It's all about perspective. I spent a day at the beach last weekend, and it was my first time being in a bikini since having the tube. The combination of the button itself plus the extra weight made me self-conscious at first, but I soon forgot about it.

soderick
I had a g-tube placed last August after nearly a year of culturing a new, resistant fungus. I gained almost 15 pounds since then. Because of the weight gain (in mine own opinion as well as my doctor's), my lung function is at a 2-year high, I have more energy, and it has been 14 months since my last hospitalization or IV antibiotics.

That said, I definitely look heavier. I am used to being very thin, and I now have a roll of fat on my stomach and thighs. My boyfriend is very supportive about everything, and he claims he likes me better this way, so that helps. Even though I can sometimes obsess in the mirror, if I look around me in public, I'm still quite thin compared to the average. It's all about perspective. I spent a day at the beach last weekend, and it was my first time being in a bikini since having the tube. The combination of the button itself plus the extra weight made me self-conscious at first, but I soon forgot about it.

soderick

soderick

soderick
<br />
<br />That said, I definitely look heavier. I am used to being very thin, and I now have a roll of fat on my stomach and thighs. My boyfriend is very supportive about everything, and he claims he likes me better this way, so that helps. Even though I can sometimes obsess in the mirror, if I look around me in public, I'm still quite thin compared to the average. It's all about perspective. I spent a day at the beach last weekend, and it was my first time being in a bikini since having the tube. The combination of the button itself plus the extra weight made me self-conscious at first, but I soon forgot about it.

musclemania70
04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. My doc has been trying to get me to get one but I have refused. I DON'T want to be heavier but at the same time I want to be healthier. What a difficult choice. It has been really hard to decide what to do. Right now I am trying to gain weight myself but its been hard. I can't imagine being 10 pounds heavier. But I know it could be very beneficial.

musclemania70
Thanks for sharing. My doc has been trying to get me to get one but I have refused. I DON'T want to be heavier but at the same time I want to be healthier. What a difficult choice. It has been really hard to decide what to do. Right now I am trying to gain weight myself but its been hard. I can't imagine being 10 pounds heavier. But I know it could be very beneficial.

musclemania70

musclemania70

musclemania70

cfgirl1992
04-27-2009, 10:05 PM
not to discourage you from getting one, but i had one for about a year, and it never helped me, i would just throw up whatever was put in the tube, it also leaked through to my shirts i was wearing, however i do know that it is beneficial for a lot of people, but with my experience with it, i wish i had enever gotten one, cause it left a terrible scar, which makes swim suit shopping hard

my honest opinion, is only get one if you feel you really need one

cfgirl1992
not to discourage you from getting one, but i had one for about a year, and it never helped me, i would just throw up whatever was put in the tube, it also leaked through to my shirts i was wearing, however i do know that it is beneficial for a lot of people, but with my experience with it, i wish i had enever gotten one, cause it left a terrible scar, which makes swim suit shopping hard

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992

cfgirl1992
<br />
<br />my honest opinion, is only get one if you feel you really need one

CaliSally
04-28-2009, 02:27 AM

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally
<p>.

mander31880
05-11-2009, 04:37 PM
I had a G-tube from '93 to '98. When I got it I was 13 and weighed 50lbs. When I finally had it removed I had gained 50lbs and looked great. No problems with eating. In fact, about 2 hours of waking up I would get extremely hungry and eat meals throughout the day until nighttime. I do believe you have to exercise along with all the weight gain to avoid looking "heavy." By "heavy" it's probably just actually looking "healthy."

My self esteem went up definitely because I started to look my age instead of a 9yr in 8th grade. The only problems I had were the leaking. It was a pain. Especially being active, the button tends to leak more. All in all it definitely saved my life.

mander31880
I had a G-tube from '93 to '98. When I got it I was 13 and weighed 50lbs. When I finally had it removed I had gained 50lbs and looked great. No problems with eating. In fact, about 2 hours of waking up I would get extremely hungry and eat meals throughout the day until nighttime. I do believe you have to exercise along with all the weight gain to avoid looking "heavy." By "heavy" it's probably just actually looking "healthy."

My self esteem went up definitely because I started to look my age instead of a 9yr in 8th grade. The only problems I had were the leaking. It was a pain. Especially being active, the button tends to leak more. All in all it definitely saved my life.

mander31880

mander31880

mander31880
<br />
<br />My self esteem went up definitely because I started to look my age instead of a 9yr in 8th grade. The only problems I had were the leaking. It was a pain. Especially being active, the button tends to leak more. All in all it definitely saved my life.

soderick
05-11-2009, 07:51 PM
When I was doing research about getting the g-tube, the thing I was most concerned about was lots of complaints about leaking, like Gabrielle. At first, I thought I was going to have that problem, too, but after I spent about 5 months battling granulation tissue around the site, I have very little leakage. I do have a bit of raised scarring that is mildly uncomfortable, but a bit of cream and rotating the tube relieve it quickly.

I don't know if I'm the exception, but the leakage I experience in no way outweighs the benefits I've gotten from the extra calories. As mander31880 says, it's nice to look a bit more your age instead of looking 9 years old in high school. After all, that extra 10 pounds translates into extra curves, making you look more mature.

soderick
When I was doing research about getting the g-tube, the thing I was most concerned about was lots of complaints about leaking, like Gabrielle. At first, I thought I was going to have that problem, too, but after I spent about 5 months battling granulation tissue around the site, I have very little leakage. I do have a bit of raised scarring that is mildly uncomfortable, but a bit of cream and rotating the tube relieve it quickly.

I don't know if I'm the exception, but the leakage I experience in no way outweighs the benefits I've gotten from the extra calories. As mander31880 says, it's nice to look a bit more your age instead of looking 9 years old in high school. After all, that extra 10 pounds translates into extra curves, making you look more mature.

soderick

soderick

soderick
<br />
<br />I don't know if I'm the exception, but the leakage I experience in no way outweighs the benefits I've gotten from the extra calories. As mander31880 says, it's nice to look a bit more your age instead of looking 9 years old in high school. After all, that extra 10 pounds translates into extra curves, making you look more mature.

Jane
05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
My kids have had their g-tubes for 5 years and honestly it helped them tremendously! I'm sure Josh wouldn't have lived through the time he was being treated for the myco without being tube fed.

Besides a few minor problems it has been very easy!

Jane
My kids have had their g-tubes for 5 years and honestly it helped them tremendously! I'm sure Josh wouldn't have lived through the time he was being treated for the myco without being tube fed.

Jane

Jane

Jane
<br />
<br />Besides a few minor problems it has been very easy!