PDA

View Full Version : Question for those of you with Diabetes

christyisnutz
02-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm running out of injection sites... I'm finding that I'm bruising very easily, and so I'm finding less and less places to inject my insulin. Being small with little or no body fat doesn't help the matter. I gave myself such a hematoma last week and the bruise (in my thigh) is about the size of a softball and swollen.

Where do you guys inject and how do you rotate sites? I also have to give myself Procrit in my abdomen, which also causes bruising and limits that area for insulin.

Thanks!!

christyisnutz
I'm running out of injection sites... I'm finding that I'm bruising very easily, and so I'm finding less and less places to inject my insulin. Being small with little or no body fat doesn't help the matter. I gave myself such a hematoma last week and the bruise (in my thigh) is about the size of a softball and swollen.

Where do you guys inject and how do you rotate sites? I also have to give myself Procrit in my abdomen, which also causes bruising and limits that area for insulin.

Thanks!!

christyisnutz

Thanks!!

christyisnutz

Thanks!!

christyisnutz

Thanks!!

SaltyAndSweet
02-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Hi Christy,

I understand your pain! I used to give my shots in my abdomen, but had to change sites because it started to hurt so bad. Not sure why that happens. But now, I use the backs of my arms. Not much fat there though, I have about a 1"x1/2" spot. But it is convenient. My "favorite" place (if you can call it that) is in the top of my upper thigh. Works great if I am wearing a skirt or shorts.

Hope that helps!
~aspen

SaltyAndSweet
Hi Christy,

I understand your pain! I used to give my shots in my abdomen, but had to change sites because it started to hurt so bad. Not sure why that happens. But now, I use the backs of my arms. Not much fat there though, I have about a 1"x1/2" spot. But it is convenient. My "favorite" place (if you can call it that) is in the top of my upper thigh. Works great if I am wearing a skirt or shorts.

Hope that helps!
~aspen

SaltyAndSweet
Hi Christy,

Hope that helps!
~aspen

SaltyAndSweet
Hi Christy,

Hope that helps!
~aspen

SaltyAndSweet
Hi Christy,

Hope that helps!
~aspen

CaliSally
02-08-2008, 06:34 PM

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally

CaliSally

christyisnutz
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks Aspen and Sally! I can't take ADEKs b/c of the vitamin K (I have had too many blood clots in the past), but I will ask about extra C when I go back to doc next week. I'm on a multi and zinc.

christyisnutz
Thanks Aspen and Sally! I can't take ADEKs b/c of the vitamin K (I have had too many blood clots in the past), but I will ask about extra C when I go back to doc next week. I'm on a multi and zinc.

christyisnutz

christyisnutz

christyisnutz

leothelioness26
02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
I also give my self insolin shots? How many do you have to do a day? I have to take 4 shots a day. I am fair skinned and have bruising problems. I give my shots in the abdomen, legs, and the back of my upper arm. I change my syringes to ultra fine 30 gauge and that has helped some with the bruising. You should see if you can get a smaller needle on the syringe? Just curious, what kind of insolin are you on? I take Novolog Pen with meals and Lantus at bedtime. My suggestion besides switching up your injection sites is look at the size of the needle because if you don't use it, you should try the ultra fine 30 gauge. They are some much better. Hope that could help some!

leothelioness26
I also give my self insolin shots? How many do you have to do a day? I have to take 4 shots a day. I am fair skinned and have bruising problems. I give my shots in the abdomen, legs, and the back of my upper arm. I change my syringes to ultra fine 30 gauge and that has helped some with the bruising. You should see if you can get a smaller needle on the syringe? Just curious, what kind of insolin are you on? I take Novolog Pen with meals and Lantus at bedtime. My suggestion besides switching up your injection sites is look at the size of the needle because if you don't use it, you should try the ultra fine 30 gauge. They are some much better. Hope that could help some!

leothelioness26

leothelioness26

leothelioness26

christyisnutz
02-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Heather..
Actually I'm using the 31 gauge. I also take 4 shots a day. I think I will try giving more in my upper arm. Thanks!!!

christyisnutz
Heather..
Actually I'm using the 31 gauge. I also take 4 shots a day. I think I will try giving more in my upper arm. Thanks!!!

christyisnutz
Heather..

christyisnutz
Heather..

christyisnutz
Heather..